Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
@novus

Good point on measuring with an empty tank, mine was near full when I measured. I wonder if this is an underlying reason why ford recommends keeping at least a half tank... So when we bring them in we have less of a chance of failing tank measurements. Sounds a little conspiracy theory-esque but I wouldn't put it past them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford has no costumer service and they don’t care.7 weeks with out my Focus I have a story about my 2012 Focus and if anyone has the same problems speak up please. It’s the day after Christmas December 26,2018 I’m on the freeway and my car dies I have it towed to my local Ford dealership to have it fixed they tell me I need the fuel tank replaced it has a recall and it will be ready on January 25,2019 because of back order. Ok so this is my only car and I’m thinking of how I’m going to get around for a month like back and forth to work grocery store things of that nature thank god I didn’t have kids to take to school. Ok I finding rides a little difficult because of my location but I’m making it happen missed a few days of work and lost my job all because of this recall crazy right so January 25, comes around call the dealership for them to tell me oh you have to wait tell February 15,2019 and we’ll have your parts so if your counting that’s 7 weeks and 2 day if you’re counting in days it’s 51 days before my car can be fix have anyone had to wait that lond for parts please let me know this has been so hard for me to believe.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just dropped mine off for the recall. I haven't inspected my tank, but I was able to put ~11 gallons in it recently when it was near empty. It's never thrown a CEL.

EDIT: Dealer just called. No issues, so they just updated the software.

·
Registered
30 Posts
owned this car 2 years and had two clutch packs and one tcm. Well warranty is out now on clutches and got this latest recall on the gas tank collapse. When we got that recall and told to keep the tank half full we decided to get rid of it. I dont have 2000 bucks every year for clutches. BYE FORD! Dumped it for a loss got a new Rogue Sport. Love it! NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
owned this car 2 years and had two clutch packs and one tcm. Well warranty is out now on clutches and got this latest recall on the gas tank collapse. When we got that recall and told to keep the tank half full we decided to get rid of it. I dont have 2000 bucks every year for clutches. BYE FORD! Dumped it for a loss got a new Rogue Sport. Love it! NO MORE FORDS FOR ME!!

Just out of curiosity, what did you end up buying? I have a ‘13 Titanium & basically have had the same issues as you had. New clutch, failed TCM etc. It makes me nervous driving this car around out-of-warranty but it’s paid for & I really hate wasting my money on cars. Also, I really like the look of the Focus Hatch & IMO it’s better looking than anything Honda or Toyota has to offer. I’m tempted to go test drive an ‘18 Focus & see how the DCT behaves, however I don’t see a scenario where I’ll trade in my ‘13 + 10k cash for a new one.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did you end up buying? I have a ‘13 Titanium & basically have had the same issues as you had. New clutch, failed TCM etc. It makes me nervous driving this car around out-of-warranty but it’s paid for & I really hate wasting my money on cars. Also, I really like the look of the Focus Hatch & IMO it’s better looking than anything Honda or Toyota has to offer. I’m tempted to go test drive an ‘18 Focus & see how the DCT behaves, however I don’t see a scenario where I’ll trade in my ‘13 + 10k cash for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
He mentioned that he bought a Nissan Rogue Sport.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Did they even submit the details regarding the fix? IIRC. last I checked it was still pending. I'm not blowing the recall before it's finalized.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I thought I was supposed to be contacted by Ford when everything was ready however I never received any other notices that I’m aware of? I just got the initial recall notice which was months ago. I’m due for an oil change next week so I’ll drop my car off at the dealer & bring the recall notice with me. My car has shown no symptoms of this issue but they need to inspect it & clear my carfax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did the recall yesterday. Dealership updated the PCM software for now, but ordered a new purge valve and new fuel tank, as mine was deformed. Hopefully this fixes the wrong fuel level issue I've been dealing with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just replaced mine tonight on my 2012 5-speed. Took about 15 minutes. I wasn't experiencing any issues, but for $45 I'm not interested in waiting for it to deform the tank or cook the catalytic converter.

Toughest part was reaching the engine side connector to close the outer green clamp. I was able to reach in from the back side of the engire, then snake my hand forward to squeeze it shut.

I noticed the new part omits the middle "canister" from the assembly. That must be the part that causes the problem.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So do some dealers not even have the parts in stock to complete the recall? Honestly, At this point my Focus is almost 7yrs old & no issues, so it’s probably just fine.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Okay so I took my ‘13 Focus Hatch into the dealership today & here’s what my invoice says:

Perform RECAKK 18S32- Fuel Tank Deformation

Tech comments: Check DTCs, Code Pass, No available software update, NP parts replaced, PER FSA 18S32

Long story short, the service tech said the car was fine & no further service is necessary.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just replaced mine tonight on my 2012 5-speed. Took about 15 minutes. I wasn't experiencing any issues, but for $45 I'm not interested in waiting for it to deform the tank or cook the catalytic converter.

Toughest part was reaching the engine side connector to close the outer green clamp. I was able to reach in from the back side of the engire, then snake my hand forward to squeeze it shut.

I noticed the new part omits the middle "canister" from the assembly. That must be the part that causes the problem.
The part in general is faulty. My 2016 didn't have that canister thingy but the valve was still making ticking noises intermittently that you could hear from the cabin. I have Tom's tune and you could even see the fuel trim going lean on live data whenever the noise was active.

Was really cool to solve that issue on my own but I have other problems with a misfire under the hood that's not throwing a CEL code or even changing the RPM of the car.

Ugh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also have a 2012 with the 5speed. After 3 or 4 years it developed a rough idle, but there was no check engine light or codes.

One of the first mods I did was put in an AEM air filter, which I clean/wash every spring. So a couple of springs ago I decided to also clean the MAF sensor at the same time. Like magic the rough idle disappeared so now I clean it every spring. So if you haven't already done this, give it a try and see if it helps.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also have a 2012 with the 5speed. After 3 or 4 years it developed a rough idle, but there was no check engine light or codes.

One of the first mods I did was put in an AEM air filter, which I clean/wash every spring. So a couple of springs ago I decided to also clean the MAF sensor at the same time. Like magic the rough idle disappeared so now I clean it every spring. So if you haven't already done this, give it a try and see if it helps.
I actually cleaned mine about a month ago or so.

Jason

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
... I have a strong suspicion that this purge valve problem has been misdiagnosed as a transmission fault on MANY dual clutch automatics! I can see how the behavior would seem a lot like a transmission problem.
For years I have suspected that the DCT has gotten blamed for many problems that were not due to its faulty design and software (e.g., a load of bad gas), in addition to all the ones that were its fault.

Reactions: zanzabar

·
Registered
179 Posts
This often gets to be the case when there is a well-known problem with a certain model. unrelated problems get blamed on the known issue. It's a cognitive shortcut, where a technician says "Oh, a DCT Focus that's having drivability issues, it's the transmission again."

This can often get reinforced if the known issue is also in progress, even if it hasn't presented full symptoms yet, or if symptoms act in combination with the other issue. Then the technician mentions it to another, and the problem propagates.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus
101 - 120 of 162 Posts