Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't even get in to a dealer around here to get it looked at. Closest appointment I could get after xmas was somewhere after the 15th

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
So I replaced my EVAP purge valve last year, just last week i had my car stall and die on me while idling and my gas tank was a little under 1/4 tank. I assumed it was related to this recall but since I replaced my EVAP purge valve over a year okay i wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas? i'd rather not take my car to the dealer as it's tuned but obviously i don't want it dying on me if the gas tank gets low. I'm wondering if maybe they have a even newer version of the EVAP valve as maybe the one i replaced it with is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, in addition to tank deformation and defective canister purge valve, any of you had loss of power or engine hesitation?
I just replaced the BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R Vapor Canister Purge solenoid and hose, and my wife reports that the car drives like it is brand new again. She'd been dealing with the power loss and hesitation for a long time and apparently this made an immediate difference.

I looked underneath a couple times over the last month but haven't seen any significant tank deformation.

And this is a 2014 5spd manual BTW. I have a strong suspicion that this purge valve problem has been misdiagnosed as a transmission fault on MANY dual clutch automatics! I can see how the behavior would seem a lot like a transmission problem.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Can I just confirm, the canister Purge valve mentioned in this thread is the valve located under the hood between the engine and air box? I know previously it was being called the EVAP purge valve. Is this the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can I just confirm, the canister Purge valve mentioned in this thread is the valve located under the hood between the engine and air box? I know previously it was being called the EVAP purge valve. Is this the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using FF Mobile
Yes. This is the EVAP Purge Valve.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Yes. This is the EVAP Purge Valve.
Yeah that's what i figured. The recall is calling it the canister purge valve so i wanted to make sure it was the same part.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah that's what i figured. The recall is calling it the canister purge valve so i wanted to make sure it was the same part.
The recall is vague because it may be related to several components all affected due to the EVAP purge valve. The canister and the purge valve are connected with a tube.

·
Registered
659 Posts
So I replaced my EVAP purge valve last year, just last week i had my car stall and die on me while idling and my gas tank was a little under 1/4 tank. I assumed it was related to this recall but since I replaced my EVAP purge valve over a year okay i wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas? i'd rather not take my car to the dealer as it's tuned but obviously i don't want it dying on me if the gas tank gets low. I'm wondering if maybe they have a even newer version of the EVAP valve as maybe the one i replaced it with is bad.
yes it is the new part number as noted in the quote below. It likely was not available a year ago.

I just replaced the BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R Vapor Canister Purge solenoid and hose, and my wife reports that the car drives like it is brand new again. She'd been dealing with the power loss and hesitation for a long time and apparently this made an immediate difference.

I looked underneath a couple times over the last month but haven't seen any significant tank deformation.

And this is a 2014 5spd manual BTW. I have a strong suspicion that this purge valve problem has been misdiagnosed as a transmission fault on MANY dual clutch automatics! I can see how the behavior would seem a lot like a transmission problem.
I have a 13 5spd manual and replaced the PCV with the new part number and my car has no idle/stall issues. It used to want to die after filling up.

It is $46 on Amazon with Prime and took 10min to swap. Just be careful of the coolant lines around as they're extremely brittle.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the new evap purge valve and replaced it myself. It has a date of November 2018 on it, so im guessing it's the newest one. I got mine on Amazon for about $45 too and got it the next day. Easy install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mine booked in at a local dealer today, I had already replaced the purge valve last fall so they booked it in. I get there and they say that they don't have any in stock yet and unless I want to pay extra to have the codes read I should wait till they get them in and I get a letter telling me to book it in..... Oh joy!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I had mine booked in at a local dealer today, I had already replaced the purge valve last fall so they booked it in. I get there and they say that they don't have any in stock yet and unless I want to pay extra to have the codes read I should wait till they get them in and I get a letter telling me to book it in..... Oh joy!
my dealership was the same way. i wound up ordering a purge valve on Amazon and replacing it myself. Even though i too did mine last year, the new one i ordered on Amazon was a updated piece. Cost about $40 and took about 10 minutes to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How did things work out?

I'm at the dealership right now.

Long story short, it is possible to get cat converter replaced under the recall, it just depends on ford's take on your individual situation. I'll let you know what they do with mine as soon as I find out.

I came in about a week ago, told the service advisor I had been having problems with my DTE reading and my gas gauge. Dropped it off at 8AM. Didn't hear anything until 4PM when S.A. told me it was good to pick up.

I got there and asked him what all they did, he told me just the PCM update. I asked him why they didn't replace the CPV since the recall specifically states that if customer has complaints about the fuel gauge or DTE readings then they must replace CPV. He told me it HAS to have a code stored in the computer for them to replace it. I showed him the recall. Also told him that my car has been throwing P0420 codes, I've just been clearing them myself. He had no explanation and just told me it didn't need replacing. I was mad.

Notice how they specifically say if either #1 OR #2 is true then the first thing to do is replace the CPV then inspect the canister and tank. #1 being complaints about fuel gauge or DTE or stalling.

I got home and called the dealership to talk to the service manager. I told him the situation and said the code would pop up again very soon if they absolutely needed to see it, and he agreed, told me to bring it back in when the code popped up.

Fast forward a few days and low and behold the code pops up again. Right after filling my tank I might add. I call the dealership and set my appointment. I brought it in today. So far here are my updates from them:

1: CPV Valve has been replaced.

2: Tank and vapor canister are both fine. Tank isn't 1" deformed so they won't replace it.

This is a photo of my tank as it is. Ridiculous that this is considered ok

3: The P0420 code is for cat converter (obviously) so they contacted ford about replacing the converter under the recall and are waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yes it is the new part number as noted in the quote below. It likely was not available a year ago.

I have a 13 5spd manual and replaced the PCV with the new part number and my car has no idle/stall issues. It used to want to die after filling up.

It is $46 on Amazon with Prime and took 10min to swap. Just be careful of the coolant lines around as they're extremely brittle.
About 1500 miles on the new PCV valve (self-installed) and absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
2: Tank and vapor canister are both fine. Tank isn't 1" deformed so they won't replace it.
Um. What? 1"? It shouldn't be deformed at all. I posted a picture of mine in another thread. However I get no where near the distance that I used to get. I think my max fill with running the DTE to near 0 is just over 11 gal. Our tanks are supposed to hold 12.4gal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Um. What? 1"? It shouldn't be deformed at all. I posted a picture of mine in another thread. However I get no where near the distance that I used to get. I think my max fill with running the DTE to near 0 is just over 11 gal. Our tanks are supposed to hold 12.4gal.

I'm in the same boat. Mine holds about 11 also. After I got my car back from the dealershit they told me ford didn't approve a new cat converter either. I've run out of gas multiple times with my DTE over 30 miles. I got under my car and actually measured the deformation and I'm at 3/4" from the strap. 1/4" under their ridiculous threshold. Yet another repeat of their "do as little as possible" mindset we've clearly seen on the DCT6 warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Just to clear that up

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Mine holds about 11 also. After I got my car back from the dealershit they told me ford didn't approve a new cat converter either. I've run out of gas multiple times with my DTE over 30 miles. I got under my car and actually measured the deformation and I'm at 3/4" from the strap. 1/4" under their ridiculous threshold. Yet another repeat of their "do as little as possible" mindset we've clearly seen on the DCT6 warranty.
Did you test this measurement on a full tank or an empty tank? IMO, I'd do it with an empty tank.

Just to clear that up
Thanks. Haven't seen anything but the "Pending Resolution" message regarding the recall.

81 - 100 of 162 Posts