Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I had my recall done and it fixed the p0420 code!

One question though, is that if you do let it happen to your car, could it lead to cat failure due to additional fumes fouling up the cat? I would say that that alone might be reason enough to get the recall done "prematurely."

Also, is it ever premature to get a recall done that could prevent catastrophic gas tank, purge valve, and charcoal canister failure?

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I started a new thread before seeing this one. Got a letter from ford at my parents house. I’m in England. Anyone have experience with getting recall stuff fixed for a US spec car overseas? None of the dealers here can order parts as the numbers and fit aren’t the same for U.K. and US spec cars for some reason.

Here’s the letter they are sending

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
I still haven’t received my letter yet but I’m sure I’ll likely get something very soon. I have a few weekdays off in January & would like to get it taken care of then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I still haven’t received my letter yet but I’m sure I’ll likely get something very soon. I have a few weekdays off in January & would like to get it taken care of then.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
It's an open recall, you dont need to wait for a letter to schedule anything. Type your VIN in here:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

If you have anything listed, call your local Ford and schedule an appointment

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone been noticing the stalling or performance issues?
During the summer, my check engine light would pop on periodically and then turn itself off after a few days. I felt like my miles to empty wasn't as high as it had been, showing maybe 30-40 miles less to empty with a fill up than it had been for years. Didn't really think anything of it. In September, the light came on and didn't go off. I pulled the codes and got p144a and p0456. Took it to the dealer, it failed a evap test and they replaced 'canister purge solinoid (part#BV6Z 9D289 R) for $207.

A few weeks later, the recall came out. In the last month, while driving the gas gauge has been dropping to empty, the little gas pump lights up, and it chimes. 30 seconds later it goes back to where it was. Once, it stayed on E for several minutes! I noticed it always starts doing it at the same level of gas, about 5/8 of a tank full, so I'm constantly running to the gas station to keep it above that level. I am scared it is going to stay on E and the car is going to think it doesn't have fuel and stall out while on the highway.

I have it scheduled for the dealer tomorrow. I am assuming this is all related to the recall, since it is exactly the symptoms they list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone been noticing the stalling or performance issues?
During the summer, my check engine light would pop on periodically and then turn itself off after a few days. I felt like my miles to empty wasn't as high as it had been, showing maybe 30-40 miles less to empty with a fill up than it had been for years. Didn't really think anything of it. In September, the light came on and didn't go off. I pulled the codes and got p144a and p0456. Took it to the dealer, it failed a evap test and they replaced 'canister purge solinoid (part#BV6Z 9D289 R) for $207.

A few weeks later, the recall came out. In the last month, while driving the gas gauge has been dropping to empty, the little gas pump lights up, and it chimes. 30 seconds later it goes back to where it was. Once, it stayed on E for several minutes! I noticed it always starts doing it at the same level of gas, about 5/8 of a tank full, so I'm constantly running to the gas station to keep it above that level. I am scared it is going to stay on E and the car is going to think it doesn't have fuel and stall out while on the highway.

I have it scheduled for the dealer tomorrow. I am assuming this is all related to the recall, since it is exactly the symptoms they list.

Hey guys, in addition to tank deformation and defective canister purge valve, any of you had loss of power or engine hesitation?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Most techs are reporting that the tanks are not actually deforming.

Most vehicles are receiving reprograms only, no parts replacement. About 40% with CEL codes are receiving new purge valves (this is an updated part number, can be had for $45 for NA: BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R and for ecoboost: BV6Z 9D289-E).

I have a 5 speed manual, my issues consist of car wanting to stall after filling up and coming to a stop. More recently, RPM drops while idling for prolonged periods with increased electrical load (headlights on, windows, stereo, etc). The reprogram update did help reduce idle drops; however, still have occasional studders. I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer. Can't expect the dealers to do much, FoMoCo isn't paying them a whole lot to waste their time either.

Another item to check is the canister underneath the right side of the car, especially if you drive on dirt roads. Can use an air compressor to clear out some of the dirt.

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Most vehicles are receiving reprograms only, no parts replacement. About 40% with CEL codes are receiving new purge valves (this is an updated part number, can be had for $45 for NA: BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R and for ecoboost: BV6Z 9D289-E).

I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer.
Yeah, i might just go this route too. My '13 hasnt had any issues but I'd rather swap the part and not have to worry about it.

Found these diagrams:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

I have a 5 speed manual, my issues consist of car wanting to stall after filling up and coming to a stop. More recently, RPM drops while idling for prolonged periods with increased electrical load (headlights on, windows, stereo, etc). The reprogram update did help reduce idle drops; however, still have occasional studders. I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer. Can't expect the dealers to do much, FoMoCo isn't paying them a whole lot to waste their time either.

Another item to check is the canister underneath the right side of the car, especially if you drive on dirt roads. Can use an air compressor to clear out some of the dirt.
Not actually deforming? Interesting.

I already replaced this part when I found that thread a couple years back that stated this was an issue.

It's funny that the P0420 code pops right back up when I fill up my tank. [confused]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope they will refund the valve because I replaced it myself... meh.

DCT will have to be redesigned, new parts, a lot of work, etc... maybe a recall in 10 years lol

Same here. Got the P0456 code, reset it a couple times. When it came back again I looked up the YouTube valve replacement procedure, ordered one from rockauto and replaced it in about 15 mins on a Saturday. LITERALLY the next week I get the recall notice. Not worth the trouble to try and get the $45 back from Ford. Mom was wrong on this one... sometimes procrastination IS the answer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)

Got a 2012 f150 lariat 4x4 with over 100,000mi on it. Been rock solid, no problems just regular scheduled maintenance. Ecoboost w/automatic FTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
For anybody who has done the recall and got an ECU firmware update, did you lose any modifications done to the BCM? My car has quite a few things that were added, and I'm quite worried about the dealer flashing the factory AS built data back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I searched but could not find photos of an extremely deformed gas tank. Saw a couple showing where to measure the 1" deformity. Will someone post their gas tank implosion or show me a link. Do some tanks really look like crushed soda cans? I realize they are plastic.

History is that I drove my car for at least 10 miles showing "0" on the "miles to empty display." When I filled up it only took 10 gallons. I think my tank is 12.5 gallons. Read this thread and looked at my tank. Those two metal braces seem to be bending outward 1/4" inch not inward. Also, not sure if I hit something or it is related to my tank collapsing and then popping back into shape but the heat shield towards the rear of the tank is all bent out of shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anybody who has done the recall and got an ECU firmware update, did you lose any modifications done to the BCM? My car has quite a few things that were added, and I'm quite worried about the dealer flashing the factory AS built data back.
Got the Purge Valve TSB reflash done last week at the dealer and my 2012 SE with "Swap out steering wheel for cruise control" still worked so "NO" my BCM did not get reset by the dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced mine last fall before the recall, then the light came back on suggesting the cat has failed. I've been told that running it with the failed purge valve could cause the cat to fail. Can anyone confirm if this is so and if Ford will replace the cat under the recall?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced mine last fall before the recall, then the light came back on suggesting the cat has failed. I've been told that running it with the failed purge valve could cause the cat to fail. Can anyone confirm if this is so and if Ford will replace the cat under the recall?

I sure hope so. I've been getting P0420c quite often recently. Also, I found this on Ford's page for the recall... We with P0420's might stand a chance here for a new cat

Waiting for a call back from service department right now

61 - 80 of 162 Posts