Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just checked my VIN, and it's in the recall. I've never had a CEL or any issue related to this (at 100K+ miles), but should I just replace the valve?

According to FordPartsGiant, my VIN needs BV6Z-9D289-R, "Fuel Vapor Separator." That's what I need, correct?
I replaced the purge valve myself, but I wasted 50 bucks doing so. Go get your car in the shop for the recall and get it done for free. Also they reprogram the pcm or somesuch, which is supposed to detect if the purge valve sticks and fix the problem before it becomes an issue...

Also they check the charcoal canister and your gas tank for deformation as well, and will replace if necessary.

Try making a Saturday morning appointment. One shop near me has two mechanics that work on Saturdays, and although they schedule a couple weeks out, it's worth it since I drive my car for a living.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm at the dealership now getting my oil change and brakes and they did it without me asking.

Did what? What exactly are they doing? I haven’t even gotten a notice in the mail yet, so it’s likely gonna have to be done after Xmas now, since they don’t do recall repairs on the weekends, only general service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
Right now all there doing is looking for the worst of the worst on the tanks sucked closed , and changing those , everyone else gets a reflash for now that will set a CEL if the Valve fails then change the valve only unless the tank is very bad , note it and if your tank is more then 1 inch but not real bad set you up for an appointment next year to replace the tank

Tom

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Is a recall a form of lifetime warranty ?

Lets say I go in, they reflash my PCM and do nothing else.

I come back in 10 years, broken valve and deformed gas tank. Will it get replaced for free under the recall ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This recall, from what I've managed to read, is based on the old TSB covering the sticking purge valves. So, if you've paid out of pocket to have THAT TSB performed (replacement of purge valve, up to and including fuel tank, charcoal canister, etc), you should be eligible to get reimbursed for the cost of repairs. Unfortunately, this is just a theory on my part as I'm no longer in a position to verify this information. I will contact a friend and inquire as to specifics on Thursday though as I need to check to see if my mom's Focus is subject to this recall anyway and my former employer (Ford dealer) is, quite literally, 1 mile from my house.

Is a recall a form of lifetime warranty ?

Lets say I go in, they reflash my PCM and do nothing else.

I come back in 10 years, broken valve and deformed gas tank. Will it get replaced for free under the recall ?
A recall is a one-time repair. Once the recall is done, the program is closed for your vehicle unless otherwise specified. In rare cases, recalls remain open until an actual repair is made.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A recall is a one-time repair. Once the recall is done, the program is closed for your vehicle unless otherwise specified. In rare cases, recalls remain open until an actual repair is made.
Hmmm... Interesting...

So, IF I tell my dealer to not perform the recall, I can claim this in 10 years when a problem come down the road... Now, lets see how long for a recall is valid.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting...

So, IF I tell my dealer to not perform the recall, I can claim this in 10 years when a problem come down the road... Now, lets see how long for a recall is valid.
The vehicle legally belongs to you. Even though Ford is required to cover costs associated with the recall, if you refuse to have the recall done anything that happens as a result is your fault and Ford could refuse to cover it. I ran into that about a year ago with an Escape that had a recall on the ABS. There was an issue with the ABS connector that resulted in a "localized fire". The vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The "localized fire" occurred and Ford refused coverage due to owner negligence. Also saw it happen with an F-150 with the cruise de-activation switch recall. A vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The switch leaked, shorted and ignited. Ford refused coverage because the recall was 10 years old and it was documented by the dealer (as required) that the vehicle owner refused to have it done.

If your vehicle suffers the expected failure and it results in an accident, you could also be held legally responsible due to negligence.

In the end, whether or not to accept the possible risks is all on you. It is quite stupid to ignore a recall though.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting...

Why would you not have the recall done? It’s a safety issue & also no one will buy a vehicle with an open recall. Actually, if you take the vehicle in for service maybe they would just fix the recall without even asking you. I’m not sure why they would need the owners permission to fix any recall, since it’s not costing you a dime & it’s there to keep you safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The vehicle legally belongs to you. Even though Ford is required to cover costs associated with the recall, if you refuse to have the recall done anything that happens as a result is your fault and Ford could refuse to cover it. I ran into that about a year ago with an Escape that had a recall on the ABS. There was an issue with the ABS connector that resulted in a "localized fire". The vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The "localized fire" occurred and Ford refused coverage due to owner negligence. Also saw it happen with an F-150 with the cruise de-activation switch recall. A vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The switch leaked, shorted and ignited. Ford refused coverage because the recall was 10 years old and it was documented by the dealer (as required) that the vehicle owner refused to have it done.

If your vehicle suffers the expected failure and it results in an accident, you could also be held legally responsible due to negligence.

In the end, whether or not to accept the possible risks is all on you. It is quite stupid to ignore a recall though.
Why would you not have the recall done? It’s a safety issue & also no one will buy a vehicle with an open recall. Actually, if you take the vehicle in for service maybe they would just fix the recall without even asking you. I’m not sure why they would need the owners permission to fix any recall, since it’s not costing you a dime & it’s there to keep you safe.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I understand what you guys as saying...

The reason I said that is because I've replaced the valve already not too long ago by myself and I know the car is in good shape. If the valve stay open, I'll hear it because it click super fast so then I would take it to the dealer for the recall. I do most of the work on the car myself in general except the oil change because its cheaper at my dealer then me doing it (I got what they call a "VIP Oil Change card", it give almost 50% discount).

Assuming I do the recall today and the valve/tank is deformed in 2 years... Why would I pay for the repair since Ford knew the part is defective ? The recall AFAIK, if nothing wrong with your car, is just a PCM update.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Was just at the dealer and they told me that if I'm not experiencing symptoms, to not have them do the review for this recall.

They said it's a "once and done" thing, so I should save it for when I'm experiencing symptoms.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife just texted that her check engine light is on and car almost died at a stoplight.

Work 5 minutes from the Ford dealer so went and asked if we should bring it in or just fill the tank up until she had time to bring it in. Had a 1/4 tank in the picture she sent me.

Said they didn't have the valves in and would be a few days if that was all it needs but the gas tanks are backordered 2 months.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)
Do you have another Ford dealer near by?

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quite a few ford dealers in the city I live in, I might call one and just ask on the phone this time before I go in.

41 - 60 of 162 Posts