Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've needed to replace defective purge valves twice on my 2012 [early 2016 and again late 2017] - At least after replacing the valve the code did not recur for over a year. So far, no new codes after the 2017 replacement....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the recall done today because I was in the shop getting diagnostics for p0420 code that has been intermittant the last couple months.

They replaced the purge valve for free, and even though my gas tank has a slight bow like shown in the pics on this thread, they did not deem it necessary to replace. My car still takes 10.5 gallons close to empty, so I don't think it really "collapsed," so much as slightly sucked in in one spot.

They told me the p0420 code might be related to the recall, but that if the code comes back on after the work was done, it will definitely be the cat that needs to be replaced.

:/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got it when i brought up the recall to the service manager. They did tye recall for me, which involved inspecting the charcoal canister, gas tank, and replacing the purge valve and reprogramming pcm.

I got lucky i guess. I just hope the p0420 code doesnt come back.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Believe me i was as surprised as you. All i know is the truth of what happened to me. You can get the recall early.

Notice at the top where it says "recall," and also notice how much it cost me! FREE 99 BABY!

I wish they had replaced my charcoal canister and gas tank though. Even a little bowing is too much imo.

Actually I want to be 100% honest and let you all know that I think God's favor was on me yesterday when I got the recall. I have been waiting to get my car looked at for months, rescheduling appointments and missing one, and then two days before this appointment comes there's a recall in the news that i read about on this forum. I go there and the lady tells me it'll cost over 130 bucks just to diagnose the car's p0420 code, but when she calls me later the tells me about the recall. Then when I get there, she tells me it's completely free, and if that doesn't fix the p0420 code it's definitely the cat. I have been worried about both the tank and the cat for months, asking God what to do and waiting on The Lord. His favor was on me yesterday, and I got the recall early.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
They most likely preformed the TSB not the recall. It's a very similar procedure from talking to one of my Ford Master Tech buddies. However the recall isn't available yet.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad this came through finally. I have had my purge valve replaced, but dealer did not replace the tank, even though they acknowledged the deformity in the tank walls. Wanted to charge me $1,500 for that. Wonder if I can get a refund on the valve fix and get the tank resolved now? Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I hope they will refund the valve because I replaced it myself... meh.

DCT will have to be redesigned, new parts, a lot of work, etc... maybe a recall in 10 years lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stupid question, but can you see the gas tank under the car without removing anything to look at it? It's been raining this week and I don't want to lay on the ground unless I have to, ha ha. I just had the evap purge valve problem and canister replaced and they never even mentioned looking at the gas tank for deformation so I am wondering if there is any. We did have issues with the gas tank not seeming to fill up as much as it used to, even though the indicator said full...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hope they will refund the valve because I replaced it myself... meh.

DCT will have to be redesigned, new parts, a lot of work, etc... maybe a recall in 10 years lol
Yeah, I replaced my valve myself as well, except I didn't ask for a refund once they did the recall... I think if you've got the receipt from the part it's definitely worth an ask. I didn't have the heart to ask since they gave me the recall early...

·
Registered
830 Posts
So what’s the deal with all of the brand new 2018 Focus models currently at the dealerships? Is Ford continuing to just sell them knowingly that there’s a full recall in effect? Why would anyone want to buy a brand new car knowing that there’s a potential problem & that they’ll have to turn around within a month or so & drop it off for repairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
It takes a while to stack up repair parts for those numbers. and what they do, drag feet to make it look as much as it can to the government that they cannot afford the recall. The spreading out is what allows the corporation to accept the losses.

Like Nissan with the Takata airbag hit, they are repairing cars with known bad bags again but since they are newer they can do it and then your car has to again come back at a later date for the more permanent fix. Likely many of those cars will never come back but by then the company can put much of it off on the consumer.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just checked my VIN, and it's in the recall. I've never had a CEL or any issue related to this (at 100K+ miles), but should I just replace the valve?

According to FordPartsGiant, my VIN needs BV6Z-9D289-R, "Fuel Vapor Separator." That's what I need, correct?

21 - 40 of 162 Posts