Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://fox59.com/2018/10/25/engine-stalling-problem-prompts-ford-focus-recall-of-1-3-million-vehicles/

This is gonna effect a bunch of us:
Ford is recalling nearly 1.3 million Focus compact cars in the U.S. because a fuel system problem can cause the engines to stall without warning.

The recall covers cars from the 2012 through 2018 model years with 2-liter four-cylinder engines.

Ford says a valve in the fuel system can stick in the open position, causing too much vacuum, and an engine control computer may not detect the problem. Excessive vacuum can cause the gas tank to deform, as well as other problems.
You can enter your VIN here to check to see if you are one of the lucky ones. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html
Sounds like any 2.0 naturally aspirated or ST. Ford suggests keeping half a tank at all times to mitigate your chances of this happening

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just checked my VIN and it said I had no recalls on my car, it may be that they are doing the recall in batches or my car didn't get the bad CPV.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a 2013 Titanium Hatch & I haven’t received anything by mail yet, but I’ll have to check the VIN tonight. I just checked by CARFAX a week ago & there were no open recalls, but maybe that will be changing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2013 Titanium Hatch & I haven’t received anything by mail yet, but I’ll have to check the VIN tonight. I just checked by CARFAX a week ago & there were no open recalls, but maybe that will be changing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I doubt you will get anything in mail for a couple more weeks, this is new as of 10/22. Doesnt look like the recall is going to start until December. I was able to search my VIN and it pulled up, as you can see there isnt even an NHTSA recall number yet.

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
Give it time it does cover all 2012-2018

1 and or 2 things have to happen , you have to get the CEL for the valve that causes the tank to suck closed to come on or you look under your Focus at the gas tank and see if the bottom of the gas tank is lifted off the support strap , Ford Engineer that I talked to said there will be a minimum measurement it has to be but stated that hasnt been determined yet , Mine is about 1/2 inch now but I can still get 12 gallons in it , mine is being checked for replacement as of yesterday

You wont get any warranty for Ford if one of the above hasnt happened

I have been telling Ford engineers for years that that Valve is failing and it doesnt set a CEL like it should be doing which would be considered a non working emission part from the factory so wouldnt surprise me if the Government doesnt get involved with a fine so there reprogramming the ECU/PCM as well which could be a good or bad things if you have the DCT , Ford has not released this to the dealers yet

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
Update , To have your Gas Tank replaced there will have to be a 25mm / 1 Inch gap between the mounting straps and the Gas Tank anything less at this time and you will only get a new Purge valve maybe and a ECU/PCM update so the CEL will properly work if the Valve fails which Ford failed to have from the start and I have been telling Ford for years about this , Most will only get the ECU/PCM update then a wait to see if you get a CEL

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's hard to get a good picture with all the sun.

EDIT: According to this picture, it's not supposed to bow

My 1.0 sedan had the same problem with the gas tank bowing like this but no CEL, dealer said he hasn't seen any problems. I could never get the tank full of gas and mileage fluctuated 10 or more MPG.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Update , To have your Gas Tank replaced there will have to be a 25mm / 1 Inch gap between the mounting straps and the Gas Tank anything less at this time and you will only get a new Purge valve maybe and a ECU/PCM update so the CEL will properly work if the Valve fails which Ford failed to have from the start and I have been telling Ford for years about this , Most will only get the ECU/PCM update then a wait to see if you get a CEL
Tom, does your tune cover this issue as well ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus with 105K. This August, the check engine light came on and didn't go back off. After a week of it staying on, we pulled the code, and it was the evap purge valve code and something else (P0456 and P144A). We had noticed that the miles to empty wasn't as high the first couple years when you'd fill the tank. And gas mileage was down slightly, from the normal 36 down to the upper 34s. Took it the dealer and had this done to it:

"Perform evap test-FAIL, Replace Canister Purge Solinoid, Clear Code, Retest Evap System-PASS"

Paid $210 for it. Is this what the recall is talking about? They didn't say anything about gas tank deformation, but frankly, didn't say they examined it either. If this is part of that recall, does Ford reimburse if you paid out of pocket?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus with 105K. This August, the check engine light came on and didn't go back off. After a week of it staying on, we pulled the code, and it was the evap purge valve code and something else (P0456 and P144A). We had noticed that the miles to empty wasn't as high the first couple years when you'd fill the tank. And gas mileage was down slightly, from the normal 36 down to the upper 34s. Took it the dealer and had this done to it:

"Perform evap test-FAIL, Replace Canister Purge Solinoid, Clear Code, Retest Evap System-PASS"

Paid $210 for it. Is this what the recall is talking about? They didn't say anything about gas tank deformation, but frankly, didn't say they examined it either. If this is part of that recall, does Ford reimburse if you paid out of pocket?
The recall notice does say ford is going to reimburse this charge

OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE THAT WILL DETECT A MALFUNCTIONING CPV AND PREVENT A POTENTIAL EXCESSIVE FUEL VAPOR SYSTEM VACUUM CONDITION FROM OCCURRING. DEALERS WILL CHECK FOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) AND REPLACE THE CPV AS NECESSARY. IF THE CPV IS REPLACED, DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE CARBON CANISTER, FUEL TANK AND FUEL DELIVERY MODULE AS NECESSARY. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. UNTIL THE VEHICLE IS SERVICED FOR THIS CONCERN CUSTOMERS ARE ADVISED TO MAINTAIN AT LEAST 1/2 TANK OF FUEL. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS DECEMBER 31, 2019. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure what your asking ?

Tom
This .... FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE THAT WILL DETECT A MALFUNCTIONING CPV AND PREVENT A POTENTIAL EXCESSIVE FUEL VAPOR SYSTEM VACUUM CONDITION FROM OCCURRING

Can your tune do the same thing (detect a malfunctioning cpv) ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know what code is typically coming up when this problem shows? I have been getting an intermittent P0420 code for the last few months and suspect it may be associated with this recall...

·
Registered
3 Posts
can you send me pics of what to look for on gas tank? I just joined here, so it won't allow me to see any pics until I have 10 posts. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Anyone know what code is typically coming up when this problem shows? I have been getting an intermittent P0420 code for the last few months and suspect it may be associated with this recall...
That just might be your cat. My 2012 has a P0420 as well. Seems to be an issue with MK3's.

can you send me pics of what to look for on gas tank? I just joined here, so it won't allow me to see any pics until I have 10 posts. Thanks!
Ever take a plastic bottle and suck the air out? It starts to crumple inwards to do a vacuum? That's what you're looking for on the gas tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I appear to have some tank deformation as shown here (deformation shown in green, gap from strap shown in red), but doesn't look quite like the 1" minimum gap off tank strap mentioned earlier by someone else. This is with a full tank too, so weight of fuel should be pushing down on tank lower surface. Between this deformation and the intermittent P0420 code I have been getting, I will definitely be taking it in to get taken care of as soon as I receive my recall notice from Ford (I checked on recall with my VIN, & recall includes my vehicle).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 162 Posts