Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I search for another MK2 I have noticed that the 2011 SES (Silver color) sometimes has a black grill. This is by far my favorite trim level with the back interior and black leather heated seats. Was this trim level offered in another color with the black interior and black seats? I see the tan interior and either grey or tan leather seats in a few versions. My dream combination would be a black interior, black leather seats, Black 2 dr coupe with a manual transmission...…. but Ford would never produce that for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very useful information

I have never seen a 2011 manual transmission that wasn't a basic "S" model. The brochure confirms this. I also have only come across a few "SE" 2 door copes from 2009 and 2010 and I haven't found a 2 dr from 2011 that wasn't just a basic "S" model.

·
Registered
247 Posts
2011's are probably especially hard to find because it was a short model year. The car was ancient and outdated even before the 2008 refresh, but it was well timed with the recession. It actually sold beyond expectations (they had to add shifts). It was a cheap, well-equipped car that was tolerable to a lot of people who probably wanted more, and it probably benefitted a little bit from a patriotic aspect (U.S. made, and Ford didn't avail itself of "bailout" loans form the US gov.) I would guess most Ford dealers and Focus buyers went for a commodity spec SE sedan with an automatic, which seems to be the most common configuration. I remember when the 08-11's came out, and my first reaction was "what they hell are they thinking?". No way would I have bought one new or paid full price, but I thought the 10-11 SES coupe with the 17' wheels was oddly attractive. I distinctly remember thinking the car was uncompetitve and not a great value new, but that heavy depreciation might make it a nice used car bargain. Forward to 2014, and that was largely the case. I still overpaid, but the used 2010 SES sedan I found was cheaper and had lower mileage than others I'd looked at. The poor soul who traded it in at the (Volvo!) dealer I bought it from must have only gotten pennies for it. The salesman stupidly left out an inventory spreadsheet printout on his desk while he went to go kvetch with the sales manager about something. Without looking too obvious, I could discern a certain column was "days on lot", and my car had been sitting for nearly 3 months. I used this to my negotiating advantage. All that said, a black on back SES with a manual transmission exists (poor example here: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/796177622/overview/ ), but a 2011 might indeed be something of a unicorn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap. That is the one I have been searching for. Too bad it is 700 miles away.. and the price is right in my wheel house. I had seen a few of the 2010's SES with the manual … but never a black on black with leather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Paul,
Find the model you want, and add the black grill if that's what you want. Rock Auto is selling them cheap.

I bought one for my custom grill, easier than stripping the chrome off the original.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't as interested in the black grill as the black leather seats and black interior. I'm actually in negotiations with a local guy who has a black 2008SES with the black interior, and a standard transmission..... talk about finding a unicorn. Strange how all the manual transmissions I find on the Mark2 are always the S base model with cloth seats. This is the only one with leather and a stick i found.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Paul,
Hope you're negotiations go well. Mk. 2 Focus are showing up in droves in the Pik-A-Parts here in the mid-west. My car, a 2008 S had a cloth stone interior I hated, have the leather seats installed now. Kept hoping to find a black interior coupe with wind up windows, but got the switches and the power tracks in case none show up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mk. 2 Focus are showing up in droves in the Pik-A-Parts here in the mid-west.
Definitely, same here in the mid-Atlantic. Anybody who doesn't have a pic-a-part near them, it might be worth a roadtrip with friends and an SUV or pickup. Many of them have holiday weekend sales, and Memorial Day is coming up. Even if you don't need anything, for the $2 admission its a lot of fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It drives me crazy how many of these are in the upull lots. I have a spare 2.0 motor and MTX transmission sitting in my garage. I have been looking to find a decent 2011 with leather that maybe has a blown motor or transmission for $500. They would rather just take them to the yard than to try and sell.

The one above started asking around 3,500 and it has 180,000 miles..... but the guy has already done the clutch and struts so that shows it has been taken care of. He has it listed at 2,800 now but included a possible trade for a pop up camper. I have a pop up that we don't use anymore so he is coming to check out this weekend. If all goes as planed I will have another 2008 to go along with my 2011 and still have a spare motor and trans. I might start working on a turbo for it. My son has 3 more years until he can drive. This way he can play in a turbo car without having to pay out the ass for insurance.... because Ford did not make a factory turbo mark 2 Focus... and what they don't know will stay that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts