Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2011 SES with SYNC. What are my options?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gazookz 
#1 ·
My Mustang was never this complicated, but what are my options for aftermarket audio with SYNC installed? Is there aux out on the SYNC unit to hook up amplifiers and subs?

What are the specifications of the SYNC unit? How many audio channels, what wattage, etc.

I plan on replacing the door speakers but I would also like to install a subwoofer.

I do NOT want to lose SYNC and everything needs to look OE.

When I had my Mustang I was able to find a really nice double din HU that looked real clean and everything was pretty much plug and play. This Focus has my head spinning!!

#2 ·
I posted something similar on another thread on here the other day. Here is part of what I wrote, since it sort of applies.

""" I had/still have SYNC installed. Here's the following items that were needed to install an aftermarket HU and retain the SYNC as well as the steering wheel controls.

1.) PAC Audio MS-FRD1
2.) Metra 99-5816
3.) Axxess ASWC

The screen displays the temperature still, as well as the direction you are facing(compass) as long as you had them before installing the aftermarket HU then they will still work. It also says DVD to the left side.

If I activate SYNC, then the factory screen will display everything like it did before, the only difference is that when listening to your aftermarket HU, it will not display onto the factory screen. Only the SYNC will display there. And if you get a nice HU like I did, then it should do everything the SYNC does and more anyways. I wanted to keep it just for reassurance that it's there.

If you do not have the SYNC system, the same adapter's will work, but you could save a little money by buying Metra's wiring harness instead of the PAC one. Either one will work with or without SYNC. I believe the model numbers for Metra's version of the wiring harness is Axxess AFSI-02 (the one without the seperate LCD display) or Axxess AFSI-01 (includes seperate LCD display). I am not sure if the Axxess version of the wiring harness still displays all of the info on the factory screen or not. I would just buy the PAC to be safe.

Also, the PAC wiring harness I got included a LCD display with buttons to use the SYNC. That is for other Ford vehicles that have the screen built-in to the factory radio, therefore they need a seperate screen. I hooked the seperate screen up and put it in the glove box, just in case I ever need it since the steering wheel controls are the only way to control SYNC, since the HU is gone. """

If you get those 3 things you can keep SYNC and use an aftermarket HU as well. I have a Pioneer AVIC-x930BT and it is amazing! I still have SYNC if I want to use it, but never do. It looks OE as well with the dash kit. Scosche also makes a kit. Some people have used that one on here, but you have to remember it does not keep that factory curve under the HU like the Metra one does.

There isn't really any channels or specs on the SYNC that you need to know about. Everything will come through the AUX input on your afetrmarket HU. I'm also using an amp to power all door speakers and my sub. So you will need a tiny speaker to put behind the dash to hear when the SYNC says voice commands. The music and everything else play through your aftermarket HU, but the voice commands like "Sync, say a command." will not. Just get any small speaker that is full range and it will work. Hook it up to the speaker wires from SYNC. I'm sure there's a diagram somewhere but i don't have one on how to do it.

Also, make sure that your HU has a input for a remote. That will be used by your steering wheel interface to use the steering controls with it. And also it has to have an AUX input (red/white RCA's).

#5 ·
I thought you were asking about aftermarket HU's and stuff. And I used my stock HU and had 2 amps running. One for the door speakers and the other for my sub. You can look into something like the Cleansweep from JL, which is expensive, or just get a LOC. They can be as cheap as $20. With that, the only thing to tap into would be the speaker wires coming off the HU to get the RCA's for the amps. For the remote wire, you can just put a switch on a constant 12v+ to turn the amps on/off.

It's super easy to do. I think there is another thread on how to remove the HU. If you want an aftermarket anything, you will have to "splice and dice" something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.