Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has been crazy to master the accelerator to the shift points. I'm either bogging down or down shifting and revving up way to high. I took her to Florida this weekend and put her on cruise control for 6 hours. No issues at all. The computer was able to maintain a constant speed without downshifting or bogging. Only twice did the transmission have a hard downshift on a steep hill.... and that was no where near as dramatic as when I doing it. I bought her about 7 months ago and the first thing I did was the transmission flush and filter change with Dextron LV soo i believe the transmission is still happy... Only 102,000 so i wouldn't expect an issue yet.

Throwing no codes… so i guess I'm just not used to her shift points yet. Wondering whether to get TOM to tune her and see what he can tell about the shift points.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have had my 2010 for 10 years now.
I drive it with my foot to the floor most of the time. The gap between first gear and second gear is excessive.

I do have a performance rear motor mount so the shifts are not as harsh.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,356 Posts
If the later ones are anything like the early ones then the transmission has 3 and 4 (OD) too far apart trying to get more gas mileage out of it and to lower emissions. Fine when the car is young but once the engine gets older to lose ring and valve seal then it does not like the spacing there. A 2 liter engine size is too small there for that rpm drop amount and why I prefer 2.3 and larger when a four gets older.

The cruise simply seems better as it is not as blatant about putting as much throttle on at once. I have several highway mixmasters close that have enough road rise to not be steep but enough to force a downshift as you are deeper in the throttle to hit the TPS volt number at 65-70 to downshift when engine is older. The result being the engine is either slightly bogging from too much load or it is revving too high, you only have 2 gear choices there and the 3-4 gear spacing is what creates that. One hill in particular will even send trans into shuttle shifting, or drop back to 3 then shift to 4 and repeat over and over in short order. Kinda silly.

Both my earlier cars do it with zetec motors but they are over 200K miles, yours may be early as I look for that issue to begin to happen after 125-135K. About when other issues show up due to lower engine power like heat soak bog off traffic lights in summer and such when a/c is on. The trans is same there and I'd bet the 3-4 spacing is the same.

It's engine not trans, and really nothing you can do with it other than retune TPS downshift point and then the decision as to which way to go? Drop it down and lose gas mileage when you begin to downshift too easy or raise it up and simply bog more, a no win situation. You need more power (torque) to get you further away from the TPS downshift point, older engines always run deeper into the throttle to make the same power they made before at less.

Your first sentence describes the situation to a T.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My car has 127k and I can shift with my right foot. Maybe I've learned the transmission or it has learned me. In a few situations I flick the OD button to avoid a hard downshift from 4 to 3. This seems to work at maintaining constant speed on certain situations involving hills. Most of my driving is city/suburban. In certain highway situations accelerating from a stop, I toggle the OD button off and on before/after/between 3 and 4. The TC lockup is predictable, so I can in effect fake a 6 gear unit. Trans had its first service at 65k, then another 115k. I've always been surprised at how well it shifts (smooth too) but maybe I've gotten used to driving it a certain way. Yes, it is only a 4 speed, but mine seems to do what I want when I want it. Way better than the 4OD trans I had in an '05 Subaru, which never shifted right, and possibly the same trans I had in an 02 Mazda Protege5 (?)

I've been saying it while- this is the best crappy mediocre car I've owned. Had to bite the bullet on some a/c repairs recently, but a 4 hour round trip this weekend just melted the miles away, and I got 27 mpg in 98 weather with the a/c on constantly, and doing about 70. Gave it a wash and waxed part of it this weekend and it still looks good (getting a lot of bumper dings though). 2k into my last oil change, never uses a drop. Anything serious breaks it probably goes straight to the junkyard but for now I'm enjoying the no-car-debt lifestyle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the later ones are anything like the early ones then the transmission has 3 and 4 (OD) too far apart trying to get more gas mileage out of it and to lower emissions. Fine when the car is young but once the engine gets older to lose ring and valve seal then it does not like the spacing there. A 2 liter engine size is too small there for that rpm drop amount and why I prefer 2.3 and larger when a four gets older.

The cruise simply seems better as it is not as blatant about putting as much throttle on at once. I have several highway mixmasters close that have enough road rise to not be steep but enough to force a downshift as you are deeper in the throttle to hit the TPS volt number at 65-70 to downshift when engine is older. The result being the engine is either slightly bogging from too much load or it is revving too high, you only have 2 gear choices there and the 3-4 gear spacing is what creates that. One hill in particular will even send trans into shuttle shifting, or drop back to 3 then shift to 4 and repeat over and over in short order. Kinda silly.

Both my earlier cars do it with zetec motors but they are over 200K miles, yours may be early as I look for that issue to begin to happen after 125-135K. About when other issues show up due to lower engine power like heat soak bog off traffic lights in summer and such when a/c is on. The trans is same there and I'd bet the 3-4 spacing is the same.

It's engine not trans, and really nothing you can do with it other than retune TPS downshift point and then the decision as to which way to go? Drop it down and lose gas mileage when you begin to downshift too easy or raise it up and simply bog more, a no win situation. You need more power (torque) to get you further away from the TPS downshift point, older engines always run deeper into the throttle to make the same power they made before at less.

Your first sentence describes the situation to a T.
This is why I always get a manual transmission with a small motor. i bought this one for my daughter who turns 15 in a few months... and she had to have a automatic. I have a spare 2.0l motor and manual transmission just setting in the garage from the 2008... so I'm just looking for an excuse to swap.

On a side note I really like the way the cruise control performed. I try not to use cruise since I label myself a manual trans guy... but it was nice.

I feel you on the car note. i have been a FORD guy my whole life. I started with the Bronco hobby when my daughter was born 15 years ago. I now own two of them a 1996 and a 1993. FORD decides to bring back the Bronco and I want a new one really badly..... but 45,000 for a 4 door is a large monthly note. Then they offer a 7 speed manual just to make it more appealing to me.. Ford frigging has my number.
I'm not real happy with them only offering a 2.3L turbo … but after driving two mark 2 Focus for the past 10 years... I think a 4 banger might be alright. You can upgrade to a 2.7L V6... but not with a stick.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The 2.3 EcoBoost can pull like hell.

I use the overdrive button often on my car.

Cruise control for life. Not sure what a manual transmission has to do with that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 2.3 EcoBoost can pull like hell.

I use the overdrive button often on my car.

Cruise control for life. Not sure what a manual transmission has to do with that.

Every manual car I've ever owned has had cruise, except my Mazda truck. Even our 85 Tempo had it when i was a kid.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
54 Posts
In addition to the torque loss that AMC is talking about, another side of the problem is that peak torque is pretty high up the rev range so if you need it and anything is running noisy at all, that downshift is loud and rough.
Using dealer mode I've been watching the tach, and those hard downshifts are up to the 4000s, and it really screams and pulls from there to red line.
I've resigned myself to drive it up there until it's time for a swap or forced aspiration.
(Also agreed on the 1-2 drop, it's way slow even if it up shifts at rev limit - it goes from pulling to pretty well bogging)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts