Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Asking for help and any advice you may have for me. I have a 2011 Ford Focus that is having startup issues. When putting the key in the Ignition, the engine does not turn over. the dashboard lights up fine with no technical issues. The car will not turnover right away. I have to sit in the car and keep turning the key in the ignition and the car will eventually start after 10-20 minutes of this. If anyone has any similar problems or any advice that could help I would love to hear it. Thank you all for you help and information.

·
Registered
72 Posts
People frequently confuse the phrase 'turning over' so I'm asking this purely for clarification. When you say the car "does not turn over", do you mean to say that nothing at all is happening? As in the starter is not doing anything with the key in the 'start ' position. Or is the engine cranking (turning over) but not starting(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car makes a crank noise but nothing happens. Putting the key in the ignition and then tuning it I hear a high pitch noise for a second and a crank. It then nothing happens. Everyone I try it I hear the Samething. Just a crank and nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People frequently confuse the phrase 'turning over' so I'm asking this purely for clarification. When you say the car "does not turn over", do you mean to say that nothing at all is happening? As in the starter is not doing anything with the key in the 'start ' position. Or is the engine cranking (turning over) but not starting(
The car makes a crank noise but nothing happens. Putting the key in the ignition and then tuning it I hear a high pitch noise for a second and a crank. It then nothing happens. Everyone I try it I hear the Samething. Just a crank and nothing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay, so it just takes a very long time to start then, correct? How does it run after it does start?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so it just takes a very long time to start then, correct? How does it run after it does start?

Eventually will start weather it be a 20 minutes after or the next day. Sometime it doesn’t start until the next day. I just keep trying to turn the key and nothing, until it starts. If you have any advice to avoid sitting there. I have got a new battery and everything checks out. Took it to ford dealership multiple times they could not find the problem. I believe it’s internal wiring but no way to actually no. if you have any idea what it could be. Thank you for the help and recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eventually will start weather it be a 20 minutes after or the next day. Sometime it doesn’t start until the next day. I just keep trying to turn the key and nothing, until it starts. If you have any advice to avoid sitting there. I have got a new battery and everything checks out. Took it to ford dealership multiple times they could not find the problem. I believe it’s internal wiring but no way to actually no. if you have any idea what it could be. Thank you for the help and recommendations.
Runs fine after no weird noises or performance issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Runs fine after no weird noises or performance issues.
Well it's not something I've ever seen so unless someone else has and knows the issue and fix, I'd be starting with basic troubleshooting. While it's in the forever cranking issue, I'd be checking for what's missing, fuel or spark.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,134 Posts
The electrical end of the ignition switch is a known issue with this model. The part that contacts the pin from the ignition tumbler wears out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts