Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I just replaced both of my front wheel bearings, had them taken to a local shop to be pressed out and pressed in.

Any who while the bearings where being pressed I decided to change my oil,after doing that I decided to start my car without thinking, my abs speed sensors were unplugged.

So now I have the abs light,traction and the ebrake light on.
My friend cleared it with his computer they all came back on.
I tried the old disconnect the battery, came back on.

So I began researching and asking around and came up with a list of what it could be.

Which includes:
Wrong bearing (Timken HA590263K is what I bought and I am 98% sure it's abs instead of non abs). So if this is an abs instead of non-abs then this is out of the question!

Maybe dirt got into the sensor after I took it off (which is very likely,since I'm an idiot and laid it right in the dirt/gravel)
What to use to clean this sensors connection and how to go about it?

Maybe the ABS tone ring is broken (no clue how to check or replace,a friend mentioned this)

Last but not least maybe the shop pressed them in backwards? If so how would I tell? Any easy way or have to take it apart?

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry just learning!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Perpetual issue, check this thread that was recently added to:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310141

Tone ring is part of the bearing, IF you get the right one. Needs to be pressed in with the correct orientation.

Contact cleaner & compressed air is the "proper" way to clean out plug connectors if you get them full of crud, avoid using something like carb cleaner that will damage the plastic.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I have the same issue, except I installed the new bearing the correct way the second time. The lights still haven't gone away.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
A friend and I just replaced both of my front wheel bearings, had them taken to a local shop to be pressed out and pressed in.

Any who while the bearings where being pressed I decided to change my oil,after doing that I decided to start my car without thinking, my abs speed sensors were unplugged.

So now I have the abs light,traction and the ebrake light on.
My friend cleared it with his computer they all came back on.
I tried the old disconnect the battery, came back on.

So I began researching and asking around and came up with a list of what it could be.

Which includes:
Wrong bearing (Timken HA590263K is what I bought and I am 98% sure it's abs instead of non abs). So if this is an abs instead of non-abs then this is out of the question!

Maybe dirt got into the sensor after I took it off (which is very likely,since I'm an idiot and laid it right in the dirt/gravel)
What to use to clean this sensors connection and how to go about it?

Maybe the ABS tone ring is broken (no clue how to check or replace,a friend mentioned this)

Last but not least maybe the shop pressed them in backwards? If so how would I tell? Any easy way or have to take it apart?

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry just learning!
I have the same issue, except I installed the new bearing the correct way the second time. The lights still haven't gone away.
Have you guys been to your dealer for a diagnosis? They'll be in the best position to assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I will try to clean the connections tomorrow so we will see.
Now when i am at a stop sign or light my car starts going from 500-700rpms and shakes pretty bad...Idle Air Control valve?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Have you guys been to your dealer for a diagnosis? They'll be in the best position to assist.

Meagan
That's what I will try next, thanks Meagan!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
'11 doesn't have an IAC, try a fresh thread over in the General Tech Chat section for the separate problem.

Any work under the hood recently?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'11 doesn't have an IAC, try a fresh thread over in the General Tech Chat section for the separate problem.

Any work under the hood recently?

Ok will do and no none under the hood...it's weird it just happened today on my way home from work but stopped by time I got home...I did change my spark plugs and engine air filter.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ok will do and no none under the hood...it's weird it just happened today on my way home from work but stopped by time I got home...I did change my spark plugs and engine air filter.
Last I checked, those components are under the hood....

[bash]

Hopefully it's happy now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last I checked, those components are under the hood....

[bash]

Hopefully it's happy now.
Yeah I know I took it as major work. lol
I've changed the plug,coil packs and the air filter...and now I have misfires on #2 and #4 any clue where to start?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The question was to see if anything had been done recently which could be related. If a problem shows up just after work was done, go back & recheck that first.

One reason to save old parts for a while after replacing w/new ones (tune up type that aren't actually broken). Spent most of a day once trying to figure why the car I just "tuned up" wouldn't start, new ignition part was bad.

2 & 4 fire together, the PCM can tell which misfire from small rpm fluctuations but I'm unsure if they went to sequential spark on the '11's - could be the same wiring affecting each.

What kind of parts?

Try swapping between cylinders to see if the problem follows the pieces, one item at a time for the best info. from that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The question was to see if anything had been done recently which could be related. If a problem shows up just after work was done, go back & recheck that first.

One reason to save old parts for a while after replacing w/new ones (tune up type that aren't actually broken). Spent most of a day once trying to figure why the car I just "tuned up" wouldn't start, new ignition part was bad.

2 & 4 fire together, the PCM can tell which misfire from small rpm fluctuations but I'm unsure if they went to sequential spark on the '11's - could be the same wiring affecting each.

What kind of parts?

Try swapping between cylinders to see if the problem follows the pieces, one item at a time for the best info. from that.
Yes next time I will need to keep the part,I've learned that for sure tomorrow I will switch 1 and 2 and see what happens. Possible its and injector problem and from what i understand I would have to resolder the wires.
As for parts you asking for numbers or what i changed in general?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was wondering brands actually, some don't work as well in the Focus (spark plugs).

REALLY need a new thread in the General Tech section for more looks, suspension section on the end of an older thread won't get you many.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering brands actually, some don't work as well in the Focus (spark plugs).

REALLY need a new thread in the General Tech section for more looks, suspension section on the end of an older thread won't get you many.
Ok will do thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts