Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Daughter's SE has developed a clunking noise as the starter turns the engine over and the noise disappears as soon as engine fires.It also makes this noise when taking off from a stop. There is no noise while idling, engine sounds smooth with stethoscope, or immediately after she takes off. Any ideas where to start looking? Car just rolled over 100,000 miles

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,381 Posts
Makes more sense now.

Try raising the front wheels off the ground and rotate them by hand back and forth to see if you can replicate the sound you are hearing. You can do this one wheel off the ground at a time if easier.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Could it be the exhaust is loose and hitting the frame with the engine movement? Try shaking the exhaust up and down to replicate the movement of the engine to see if it hits anything.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Oh, shoot...I misread the OPs post.

I agree with AMC49. If car has automatic, then hold brake and shift back and forth between D to R. Engine should rock and recreate the noise if dogbone is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is the dogbone, at idle would the noise possible be worse when using the ac compressor for ac and defrost? I did the D to R shift suggestion but had the car on stands. I did not notice much. Maybe it needed to be on the ground?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Probably the A/C is not going to change the engine movement that much. Having it on stands MIGHT make a difference, but not likely.

Since you can get it on stands, try taking a pry bar and moving the engine (not running) while looking at the dogbone. You might also examine the transmission mount on the driver's side for rips in the rubber. I'm not sure about your 2011, but on mine I just pop out the air filter housing to get to it. The passenger side mount usually causes the car to vibrate considerably when it goes bad, but check it for obvious signs of leakage or rips...it is a hydraulic mount while the other two are just rubber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the A/C is not going to change the engine movement that much. Having it on stands MIGHT make a difference, but not likely.

Since you can get it on stands, try taking a pry bar and moving the engine (not running) while looking at the dogbone. You might also examine the transmission mount on the driver's side for rips in the rubber. I'm not sure about your 2011, but on mine I just pop out the air filter housing to get to it. The passenger side mount usually causes the car to vibrate considerably when it goes bad, but check it for obvious signs of leakage or rips...it is a hydraulic mount while the other two are just rubber.
I have replaced both mounts in the engine bay just not the dogbone. I have a video but not sure how to attach here. I will research how to do that and see if I can post the vid.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have replaced both mounts in the engine bay just not the dogbone.
Good deal. BTW, the official name of the dogbone is the torque strut mount because it prevents the engine torque from trying to flip the engine. Not a good thing if your motor spins round and round in the engine bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good deal. BTW, the official name of the dogbone is the torque strut mount because it prevents the engine torque from trying to flip the engine. Not a good thing if your motor spins round and round in the engine bay.
LOL, yeah I knew the correct name but to avoid confusion I went with the name being used in the thread. What do I have to lose by changing that last mount? If it works and kills the noise...great. If it does not at least I have a new mount in there and know I can rule that out as a possibility to being the root cause. I have big hopes this is the problem. BTW, just changing the upper 2 mounts made a drastic improvement in cabin vibration. I tried to send the video from my phone to my work email so I could post it but it is too big of a file. I had my daughter start the car (on stands) and put it in D with foot on brake then hit gas. Some movement of engine. When I told her to put it in R it seemed like a large amount of engine creep before she pushed gas then when she hit gas with brake on it moved even more. I am pretty sure it is bad. Maybe I should get it back on stands and have her put it in gear to simulate taking off and hit the gas to see if it produces the slap. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yeah, with 100K on the car replacing that last mount is probably a good idea...they don't last forever.

I hope you are not under the car when daughter is trying to rock the engine. 😟 Maybe enough testing, just replace it as they are not expensive like the passenger side mount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laying off to the side filming but not underneath. I don't like being underneath when the car is not running let alone when it is. That is why I have not changed the torque strut mount too. Looks like I am gonna have to suck it up! LOL

·
Registered
15,786 Posts
'Having it on stands MIGHT make a difference, but not likely.'

I disagree hugely with that, up in the air the tires are not locked down to force all movement to the engine assembly itself. You always do that dogbone test with car on the ground. The wheels are lighter and will move in the air more than the engine.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
^^^ I had said to hold the brake. Being in the air should not make a big difference as engine torque is restrained by the brakes. That said, I always do it on the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Daughter's SE has developed a clunking noise as the starter turns the engine over and the noise disappears as soon as engine fires.It also makes this noise when taking off from a stop. There is no Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire noise while idling, engine sounds smooth with stethoscope, or immediately after she takes off. Any ideas where to start looking? Car just rolled over 100,000 miles
The wheels are lighter and will move in the air more than the engine.

·
Registered
15,786 Posts
Dude why do you keep responding by simply copying somebody else's words? Can you not think for yourself?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts