Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's my deal, I recently got rid of my gas guzzling truck and bought the glorious Focus and I love it. I had a pretty nice system in my truck and now I'm trying to hook it up in the Focus. Unfortunately, I let Best Buy hook up the truck and therefore didn't learn a thing. I don't want to go that route this time since it's much cheaper to do it yourself, and a good learning experience.

I've had a few friends help me wire it up but now we're kinda stuck. I'm leaving in the factory stereo because I like the layout. I already have an LOC, tapped into the speakers, and ran the 12v power wire. Now the remote wire...

I've looked on many websites and still can't find a good answer (or at least the option I'm looking for). Since the amp trigger wire is data only in these newer Focuses, I'm trying to find somewhere else to tap in. I know I can go the battery switch route, but too be honest that's a bit too much of a pain in the ass for me. I was thinking possibly tapping into the ignition switch wire. Would that work?

Any suggestions and/or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!

Taylor

·
Registered
299 Posts
Alright so here's my deal, I recently got rid of my gas guzzling truck and bought the glorious Focus and I love it. I had a pretty nice system in my truck and now I'm trying to hook it up in the Focus. Unfortunately, I let Best Buy hook up the truck and therefore didn't learn a thing. I don't want to go that route this time since it's much cheaper to do it yourself, and a good learning experience.

I've had a few friends help me wire it up but now we're kinda stuck. I'm leaving in the factory stereo because I like the layout. I already have an LOC, tapped into the speakers, and ran the 12v power wire. Now the remote wire...

I've looked on many websites and still can't find a good answer (or at least the option I'm looking for). Since the amp trigger wire is data only in these newer Focuses, I'm trying to find somewhere else to tap in. I know I can go the battery switch route, but too be honest that's a bit too much of a pain in the ass for me. I was thinking possibly tapping into the ignition switch wire. Would that work?

Any suggestions and/or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much!

Taylor
The ignition switch would work, but then there would be no way to turn off the amp if you don't want it on or if someone doesn't like the loud noise (Like your parents or whomever lol)

I have the same year and model Focus as you, and I just used the radio's 12V+ Constant wire and mounted a switch to easily turn it on/off whenever I like, and it's really not that big of a pain to me. But since you say you don't want that, the only other option is to wire it to an ingition or something that only turns on when your car is on if you want to keep the factory headunit.

There are some things out there that will plug in and give you a remote turn on for your amp, but most of those do not work well with keeping the headunits volume control, steering wheel controls, etc....And they are very costly - a few hundred I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ignition switch would work, but then there would be no way to turn off the amp if you don't want it on or if someone doesn't like the loud noise (Like your parents or whomever lol)

I have the same year and model Focus as you, and I just used the radio's 12V+ Constant wire and mounted a switch to easily turn it on/off whenever I like, and it's really not that big of a pain to me. But since you say you don't want that, the only other option is to wire it to an ingition or something that only turns on when your car is on if you want to keep the factory headunit.

There are some things out there that will plug in and give you a remote turn on for your amp, but most of those do not work well with keeping the headunits volume control, steering wheel controls, etc....And they are very costly - a few hundred I believe.

Thanks mate for getting back to me so fast. I might consider the switch if you don't mind posting a link to where I can find a decent one.

And another reason I decided to keep the factory unit is because I started installing this before they had a custom mount for an aftermarket receiver haha. I may end up getting one later and use the split speaker wire to mount two more speakers in the back. [hihi]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks mate for getting back to me so fast. I might consider the switch if you don't mind posting a link to where I can find a decent one.

And another reason I decided to keep the factory unit is because I started installing this before they had a custom mount for an aftermarket receiver haha. I may end up getting one later and use the split speaker wire to mount two more speakers in the back. [hihi]
I picked mine up at an AutoZone for like 5 bucks....It doesn't have to be anything fancy unless you want it to be. A switch is a switch, just takes a wire and turns it off or on, although there are lighted switches that require another wire, and different types...a simple on/off switch will work well.

As for the amperage on the switch, it really doesn't matter, because the current going through the remote wire is very low, pretty much all switches will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked mine up at an AutoZone for like 5 bucks....It doesn't have to be anything fancy unless you want it to be. A switch is a switch, just takes a wire and turns it off or on, although there are lighted switches that require another wire, and different types...a simple on/off switch will work well.

As for the amperage on the switch, it really doesn't matter, because the current going through the remote wire is very low, pretty much all switches will work.
Thanks man. That's what I thought, but had to make sure. Any suggestions on where I could easily mount the switch? I'm new at all this so it's taking me a minute to think it through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts