Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to the dealer tuesday bc my a/c doesnt seem to be cooling as it should. They take the car back into the shop and use a thermometer and the temp goes to 40 degrees while on level 2. The guy brings it back and says that its working fine but bc my car is black on black and its 110 degrees out its going to take a while to cool. He then tells me that when I turn it on 4(highest fan speed) while on max a/c the temp will rise and not cool the car as much.

When on max a/c and on high should the air coming from the vents maintain at 40 degrees?

Having a new car and riding home sweating its a bit ridiculous. My roommate has an 05 and its air blows colder and cools the car with ease where im melting.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
40F air out of the vents is very good. That's better than I'd expect it to be in 110F ambient temps. Shade might have a lot to do with it, especially since you have a black interior.

Let's check a few things. Do you use a windshield sunscreen? Do you have tinted windows? With a black interior, those 2 things could make a big difference on interior temps. If you live in an area that has stringent auto window tinting laws, then I recently found a UV and IR blocking window film that can be purchased clear. It's similar to the UV coating on windshields, but also blocks IR. It won't be a perfect solution, and I doubt it would work very well without either having the windshield coated, or using a sunscreen. Another really handy thing for reducing interior temps is vent shades, like those from Weathertech. This allows you to crack the window to allow for air flow, without reducing protection from rain. It doesn't work so great on the back windows in a 4dr because rain can get in, but even just the front windows will help.

I have both tinted windows, a sun screen, and vent shades. Our ambient temps were well over 100 the past week. Yesterday was 113. Even with all this, my steering wheel is still too hot to touch when I come out after 8 hours in the sun. AC doesn't work really well until the interior releases the heat contained in it. The plastics stay hot for a while. If I didn't have tinted windows or the other heat, I'd probably be sweating all the way home.

If you want, I'll see if I can find that tint that blocks UV and IR, but IIRC all I did was search for infrared blocking window film. I'd call around and find a shop that has that tint available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts