Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that my 2010 Focus's previous owner had a knack for messing with the wiring in this car. I just noticed this wire was cut under the hood. I've attached a picture and would like to know what it is for...

Circled in red is what looks to be a ground wire that has been cut and was twisted together at one point. It is coming out of this plug (which is also circled).

When I connect it back together, it blows the ignition fuse (#29) immediately and of course the car will crank but not start. It seems to run fine without this connected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's supposed to have an ignition noise suppressor capacitor there, from harness to ground.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That looks like the ignition capacitor wires, however it appears your car is missing the ignition capacitor which would normally bolt to the 7/8mm headed bolt on the metal bracket just to the left of the oil cap.

The point of the ignition capacitor is to help minimize ignition noises from the rest of the electrical system, with one wire to ground/frame and the other to the positive side of the ignition circuit to help dampen ignition electrical noise. Hooking them together would indeed blow a fuse as at that point is a short to ground. If you can't find a replacement in a parts yard a Ford dealer should be able to locate the part for you.

However after doing a quick google search in trying to find the part number for it, it appears those wires seem to break off of the capacitor a lot, with even people on this forum http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208210 having issues with the wires breaking and shorting out to ground. In my own car the capacitor bracket broke so it sort of just hangs loose but at least the wires are still intact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts