Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2010 SE chugging feeling at 45-50 mph uphill only

2012 Views 101 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  rockloop85
Bought it used, 140k. Nearly perfect condition and very clean. All of a sudden it will sort of surge, feels almost like towing a trailer that's pulling back over and over. On off on off on off. It will only do this at 45-50 mph and only in top gear(4th) WHILE going uphill. Like it's stuck deciding about going to third or staying in fourth. If I give it a tiny bit more throttle and make it downshift to 3rd, the problem is gone. If the hill is long enough that I can accelerate in fourth past 50mph the problem stops. This is our only family capabile car and need it to keep going at least till 200k to get our money out of it.
The transmission temp stays around 145-155* F

Besides that, only issue is ABS light.. The code says faulty replacement part or connector dirty (I don't remember the code but I read the light with ForScan).

Everything else is fine no other codes.
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I didn't tell you to pull the plugs. That was someone else.
So the plugs are now wet. Maybe the guy didn't replace the valve cover gasket or the orings, I haven't checked what's required. Also here's a picture of the coils, one of them left the spring on top of the plug when I removed the coil. Another spring fell into my hand. Looks like they weren't attached well to the coil (seems like a metal blade the spring presses on to)
Light Wood Font Automotive tire Electric blue
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Before pulling spark plugs, I would use Forscan mode 6 to identify which cylinder misfired. You can swap plugs to see if the misfire moves.

I know how to access mode 6 in Windows. IDK with a phone.
Last driving cycle had 1 single miss on cylinder 2 and 1 single miss on cylinder 4. When I pulled the coils off those two coils had loose springs (what connects from the coil, through the boot, to the spark plug). I'll make sure all are connected firmly and see if that changes, if not I'll swap coils and then plugs. I posted an image of the plugs and the type.

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 181k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 199k miles
4,992 Posts
Abs light and trac light came on about 1000 miles after getting the car, we've put 4800 on it. The code refers to a bad connection or module. View attachment 315321
So this could be the problem. The abs, speed sensor issue will try to pull timing at weird moments causing exactly what you describe. I would fix that first if the plugs look good. More than likely a faulty wheel sensor or vehicle speed sensor and or damaged wiring connectors at the vss or wheel sensor.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You said that before. If you know best, good luck.
I'm asking for help because I don't know what's best. If this ECU has different names for what can be monitored then what should I do? Use whatever is there that gives the requested info or just try and make do without? I think I've done whatever has been asked of me and given whatever info I can. Just trying to get the wife's car to drive correctly, she loves this thing.

I was on a Ford OEM parts website but it's only showing plugs for the 2.5. The ones I pulled are autolite xp 104. tried calling Ford but couldn't stay on hold any longer. Maybe I'll try again after lunch.

· Banned
782 Posts
I don't know what's best. If this ECU has different names for what can be monitored then what should I do?
Show me the list of PIDs available in the PCM module. I may be able to match them up. But IDK how to do that with Forscan lite on a phone. Only Windows full version.

But first, fix the B1342 (ECU internal fault). Maybe it will go away when you fix ABS.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Show me the list of PIDs available in the PCM module. I may be able to match them up. But IDK how to do that with Forscan lite on a phone. Only Windows full version.

But first, fix the B1342 (ECU internal fault). Maybe it will go away when you fix ABS.
oil. coils 2 and 4 had the springs inside the boot loose and one stayed on the plug the other fell out into my hand.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
A leaking valve cover gasket would put oil on the other end of the plugs. Not the firing end.

The firing end may have anti-seize on the threads, now soaked with gas. Not unusual. Just wipe it clean.
cleaned with carb cleaner. anti-seize is on the threads only and installed. i did swap the 2 and 4 coils with 1 and 3. i'll be getting my kids in an hour and ill bring the laptop

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 181k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 199k miles
4,992 Posts
Did you check the plug gap? These cars rarely have a major fault. Once you put fresh plugs in and fix your abs fault you should be good. That being said, drive the car with the od off unless you are going to go over 50mph. Foci 4 speeds do not like sitting at the od transition point between 3rd and 4th. Look at someone's join date before you go all in.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts