Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 181k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 199k miles
4,992 Posts
My 2 cents. turn the overdrive off unless you are going to be driving at 55 mph or higher. Foci automatics don't like cruising at the transition point between 3rd and overdrive.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Next time you are in the same area, simply switch the overdrive off and see if you have similar symptoms. Let off the gas first, push the overdrive off button underneath the left side of the shifter knob. Did you replace the spark plugs? If the coil pack rubber was wet with oil it is a good idea to remove the coil pack rubbers and clean with electrical degreaser.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Hey all, haven't taken the car and laptop out. Been preparing for this hurricane heading to Florida. I'm near Tampa and soon it will be too 🙃. Thankfully we've got storm shutters and a generator (that we've had since hurricane Andrew!) That I just rebuilt the carb on. She purrs like a sewing machine (a very loud one).

And bcat, which pid is NM?
Good luck to you and yours.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
A bad plug or coil pack will fail right as you put load on it. Plugs are $5 each. At 140k I bet they have never been changed. Quit going down this rabbit hole and do some real work. You don't have the experience to even know what you are looking at. I doubt bcat does either.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Learning Forscan is real work.

He knew enough to look at MFF_ PIDs. Not all I wanted to see, but it's a start.

I know more than I did before using Forscan.
All valid but I guarantee the spark plugs have never been changed. He never answered any of my questions. I'm out.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
All the foci I have owned have been manuals so fill me in here... is 4th gear overdrive?
Does the car have a tach? It would seem to me an important piece of info would be what kind of rpm he's doing at this 45-50.
It's not unreasonable at all and possibly prudent to be in 3rd gear on the hill.
My wife and I traveled from NW Washington to mid California last year and even using the freeway there are "hills" that require 3rd gear with the 5 speed.
You are correct and that is exactly what I said.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Next time you are in the same area, simply switch the overdrive off and see if you have similar symptoms. Let off the gas first, push the overdrive off button underneath the left side of the shifter knob. Did you replace the spark plugs? If the coil pack rubber was wet with oil it is a good idea to remove the coil pack rubbers and clean with electrical degreaser.
This

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Abs light and trac light came on about 1000 miles after getting the car, we've put 4800 on it. The code refers to a bad connection or module. View attachment 315321
So this could be the problem. The abs, speed sensor issue will try to pull timing at weird moments causing exactly what you describe. I would fix that first if the plugs look good. More than likely a faulty wheel sensor or vehicle speed sensor and or damaged wiring connectors at the vss or wheel sensor.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Did you check the plug gap? These cars rarely have a major fault. Once you put fresh plugs in and fix your abs fault you should be good. That being said, drive the car with the od off unless you are going to go over 50mph. Foci 4 speeds do not like sitting at the od transition point between 3rd and 4th. Look at someone's join date before you go all in.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Ok so you've both given me some clear directions to go. One leads back into the ecm and the other points towards the abs module. I'm back to work until the weekend and will get back to the car on Saturday. I'll get new logs with those pids and I'll also check abs module connection.
Another abs related possibilty is someone botched a brake job by losing too much fluid and the sensor piston is in the wrong position. I believe you should be able to see that in Forscan.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
the obd self test says the control module for abs. theres a more thorough test and i'm looking for the procedure. If there was a local kophers i'd just get the module and have it ready.
The part that gets out of alignment is in the abs pump itself. Be careful, some codes are set due to a mechanical malfunction in another part. As far as the misfire goes, if it returns in the same cylinders even though you swapped the coils, you should examine the crankshaft damper for excessive runout as that is where the reluctor wheel for the crankshaft position sensor is located.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
Just to clarify, are you talking about crankshaft walk or too loose in the dampener?
The dampener is 3 pieces. Base, Rubber collar. Outer ring. They wobble with age. Idle the engine and look to see if it is wobbling. The p0128 means the thermostat is stuck open. On the 05 to 07 duratec, the easiest way to replace it is to remove the passenger side headlight and work through the opening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts