Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it used, 140k. Nearly perfect condition and very clean. All of a sudden it will sort of surge, feels almost like towing a trailer that's pulling back over and over. On off on off on off. It will only do this at 45-50 mph and only in top gear(4th) WHILE going uphill. Like it's stuck deciding about going to third or staying in fourth. If I give it a tiny bit more throttle and make it downshift to 3rd, the problem is gone. If the hill is long enough that I can accelerate in fourth past 50mph the problem stops. This is our only family capabile car and need it to keep going at least till 200k to get our money out of it.
The transmission temp stays around 145-155* F

Besides that, only issue is ABS light.. The code says faulty replacement part or connector dirty (I don't remember the code but I read the light with ForScan).

Everything else is fine no other codes.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,294 Posts
My 2 cents. turn the overdrive off unless you are going to be driving at 55 mph or higher. Foci automatics don't like cruising at the transition point between 3rd and overdrive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can have misfires without throwing a code. The "NM" PID in the bottom right of my dashboard is number of misfires. That's the first thing I would look at.
Ok I'll set it up. I'm not off again until Friday night, I'll do it this weekend. It doesn't feel like it's misfiring but hopefully I'm wrong and it's something simple.

I've never used the PC version, I've got it though. It looks similar to Android?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,294 Posts
Next time you are in the same area, simply switch the overdrive off and see if you have similar symptoms. Let off the gas first, push the overdrive off button underneath the left side of the shifter knob. Did you replace the spark plugs? If the coil pack rubber was wet with oil it is a good idea to remove the coil pack rubbers and clean with electrical degreaser.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts