Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI

I have a 2010 focus 2.0 SES 4 door. 138,000 miles. I had a major engine problem 4 years ago and had to replace the valve cover, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, MAF sensor and O2 sensor. 3 years ago I replaced the ignition switch, 2 years ago the thermostat and 1 year ago the battery (new interstate)

I run mobil or BP gas all the time. no crap. Very cold right now still getting about 29MPG

lately it has been idling real bad on cold startup. I am in michigan and it does sit outside in the cold. when I fire it up, it idles very high at 1400rpm for a few moments, then drops to 1100rpm, then catches itself and goes back to 1400 rpm. 2 minutes later, drop to 1000rpm then back to 1500 rpm. after about 10 minutes, the engine is warmed up and idles at a perfect 900rpm like a new car. Defrost is off. I have no problems driving the car. When it starts like this, there is no vibration. the car or brake pedal or steering wheel do not shake. But I am concerned with this surging and high rpm.

any ideas?

thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
HI

I have a 2010 focus 2.0 SES 4 door. 138,000 miles. I had a major engine problem 4 years ago and had to replace the valve cover, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, MAF sensor and O2 sensor. 3 years ago I replaced the ignition switch, 2 years ago the thermostat and 1 year ago the battery (new interstate)

I run mobil or BP gas all the time. no crap. Very cold right now still getting about 29MPG

lately it has been idling real bad on cold startup. I am in michigan and it does sit outside in the cold. when I fire it up, it idles very high at 1400rpm for a few moments, then drops to 1100rpm, then catches itself and goes back to 1400 rpm. 2 minutes later, drop to 1000rpm then back to 1500 rpm. after about 10 minutes, the engine is warmed up and idles at a perfect 900rpm like a new car. Defrost is off. I have no problems driving the car. When it starts like this, there is no vibration. the car or brake pedal or steering wheel do not shake. But I am concerned with this surging and high rpm.

any ideas?

thank you!!!
How old in miles are the O2s and spark plugs?

Did you check for codes and pending codes?

Sounds like you could have a small leak in the intake tract that seals once the engine is warm. Smoke test would find it.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I had a cold start rough idle that was throwing only misfire codes. Sprayed throttle body, checked vacuum lines, still acted up. Mine did the opposite, though, it idled low and my EGR was the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will admit, anonymous on the internet, I was a partsthrower and I was wrong. I’m sorry, my ego was bruised from some idiot slamming me on here.

First off let me say I did check the spark plugs, but at the time I did not notice a center electrode loose in the fourth cylinder. And I did not notice this until I was at a complete loss, after replacing my EGR valve and my coolant temp sensor. That, was ultimately what was wrong. So what happened was I used liquid Moly to clean the cylinders and it did too good of a job that it showed that loose electrode and caused the misfire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts