Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is setting in I'd like to put in an upper grill block to speed up warm up temps and cut down on highway drag. I have a scanguage that reads out water and intake temps but at what temp will my fan kick on? I doubt the car will over heat with only the upper blocked off but I'd like to avoid running the fan more than necessary.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a 08 but they are much the same. I used my Focus in the winter at temps. as low as -50 below 0 wind chill. I have never had a problem with my car not warming up in a timely manner. My heater gets nice and toasty warm after just 5 minutes after starting cold. I never found the need to block off any part of my radiator. In fact I don't think it would be a smart thing to do as the radiator in the Focus is already too small in size. And please explain how covering your radiator cuts down drag? JMO

·
Registered
578 Posts
In my 08 the temp gauge will hit operating temp in the govt specified time. But if i accelerate hard or turn on my heater the temp falls right off to outside temp. Give it 15 then it will burn the skin off of my knuckles.....

So lately i just turn on my seats and wait 7 or so minutes and hypermile to work.

It used to be that i never heard my fan kick on even on a hot day and flogging it about. But this year i hear it kick in while waiting at a light... and my gauge never goes past the temp logo

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
You have to take into consideration, the OEM water temp gauge will always stay at that one spot unless it notices a dramatic increase/decrease in temperature. It's not accurate all the time. If you want accurate water temp readings, install an aftermarket temp gauge.

As far as fan goes, I've had my fan come one once when i was idling at a stop light for 5 minutes cause of traffic in 110 Degree weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts