Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2010 Ford Focus won't come out of park

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ffuser 
#1 ·
After my last thread on here and doing some digging elsewhere, I replaced the shifter as suggested and replaced the starter related fuses as a precaution.

It starts, but won't shift out of park. Doing so with the override, reverse doesn't seem to work. Would an issue with the selector lever wiring harness cause that too?

Both issues came up at the same time, so it seems likely that they are connected. Section 307-05 of the workshop manual talks about checking for an open and a ground issue on the vehicle side of the harness, but doesn't talk about where it connects in much detail. It is up by the ignition switch in the steering column or is it around the junction box on the drivers side?

#2 ·
I dont have access to 2010 wiring diagrams so Im not sure how much help I can be. Do you have wiring diagrams?
Why did you replace the shifter? (who suggested?)
Do your brake lights work?
KOEO can you hear the shift solenoid when you step on the brake pedal with the trans in Park?

Also what you are saying now does quite line up with what you said at your previous post:

I figured out what was going on. The last time I stopped, I put the car in park - but the shifter only put it in reverse. I was able to start it by supplying 12v directly to the starter relay from the battery. It still won't shift from park without using the lock bypass method I've seen mentioned elsewhere. Reverse, Neutral, drive and the lower gear work fine - but going back to Park stays at reverse and locks the shifter again even when the car is running and the brake is applied. Does this sound like an issue with the shifter itself? Everything seems to be working fine otherwise and there are no DTCs.

Good luck
Paul

#3 ·
Hi,
Not sure this is the problem you have, but I once had the shifter stuck in parking mode.
It turned out there was spring/hook broken between the shifter and some computer in the greabox.
Someone came my rescue and connected it using an electrical tape, till it was fixed in the garage.
Si.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.