Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several forum posts on this subject but none of them address an engine's mileage. There are discussions about 5W20 over 5W30 and that either is ok or not ok, etc. My 2010 Focus SEL engine has 110,000 miles on it and I have always used non synthetic 5W20 which it came with. It is my opinion that I may want to go from 5W20 to 5W30 now simply because there has to be a reasonable amount of clearance wear inside of my engine even though I have religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles. I realize that we're splitting atoms here - but is my logic for increasing the viscosity numbers warranted given the miles on my engine? I have a 2003 Mercedes C230 Konpressor Coupe with 149,000 that used 0W40 Synthetic from the factory and I now use 5W40 which brought the oil pressure back to what it was when knew. My thought was that it would provide the same benefit for my Focus. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It is totally okay to run 5W30 perfectly okay.
I run 5W30 in everything that calls for 5W20.
With that said synthetic oil definitely flows better so why not go to a synthetic 5W30.
Maybe a high mileage synthetic 5W30.

What's interesting is Ford doesn't give you a graph of different oil options for different temperatures, but my 2020 Genesis does. It has a list of options of oils you can run depending on environment.

5W20 is all about fuel efficiency.
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It's not burning any oil or leaking any for that matter but I am old school and have been around cars all my life whereas, hell, we used 20W 50 in cars and straight weight 40 or 50. In the old days when engines got worn a bit, we would increase viscosity until the oil pressure would come back to normal compared to thousands of miles of use. Today, with aluminum blocks/heads used for most engines these days and with tolerances much more precise, thin oil is the norm. i have (more or less) always been of the belief that if you have an engine that has gone 75,000-100,000, maybe it's a good time to had a bit of weight to the oil you're using. You have validated my thoughts and I appreciate that! Thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It's not burning any oil or leaking any for that matter but I am old school and have been around cars all my life whereas, hell, we used 20W 50 in cars and straight weight 40 or 50. In the old days when engines got worn a bit, we would increase viscosity until the oil pressure would come back to normal compared to thousands of miles of use. Today, with aluminum blocks/heads used for most engines these days and with tolerances much more precise, thin oil is the norm. i have (more or less) always been of the belief that if you have an engine that has gone 75,000-100,000, maybe it's a good time to had a bit of weight to the oil you're using. You have validated my thoughts and I appreciate that! Thank you
I got my Focus at 141k. It now has 210k. I use 5W20 Motocraft semi synthetic and a Motocraft filter. and I change it every 5k. Driving is mixed in the country.

My thought is use what Ford recommends unless there is a reason to do otherwise.

With modern detergents and materials you shouldn’t be getting lots of wear if you‘re doing regular oil changes and not abusing it.

fyi I’m old and old school too. I remember 3k oil changes.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Last change I used 10W-30, but that was only because it was cheap. If 5W-20 goes on sale I'll buy that too.

If your oil level does not drop over several months, wear from age and use is not enough to matter. My 2001 has 159k miles. I don't burn any oil. No leaks either. I buy whatever is on sale, within reason. Not 10W-50.

But that's just what I do. I'm not recommending anything. Who knows what can happen to someone else.

·
Banned
366 Posts
My thought is use what Ford recommends
Ford wants your car to last through the life of its warranty. After it expires they don't care. Why should they. They want to keep you on the treadmill. They want to sell new cars. So I take their advice with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's not how it works. If your engine is "worn out" - you have a bigger problem and switching from 5W20 to 5W30 won't help you at all. It's not like the gap used to be .02 in the older engines and is .01 now so thicker oil doesn't "fit" into gap - that is a completely wrong mindset to approach this.

Still, It is probably fine to run 5W30, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a 2001 with a Zetec. Started using Mobil 1 5w30 at about 80k miles. Changed oil about every 12k miles, BUT I was putting 135 highway miles/day on it, so the engine hours weren't all that high per change. Got rid of the car with 400K miles on it when the rust got too bad. Used the whole 5 qt jug (figured a half quart wasn't gonna hurt anything) when I changed the oil, dipstick level was still over full 12k miles later at the next oil change, so it wasn't using any oil.

FWIW

Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts