Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopeful that someone can help me. I went to visit a friend last night and when leaving, my car wouldn't start (the cluster displays the brake, oil and check engine lights - OBD scan tool reveals P1000 as the only code). When I try, a clicking sound appears to come from the passenger fuse compartment and I don't hear anything else (nothing from the starter).

At first I thought it might be the battery, but it is only 3 years old and the scantool reports 12.4-12.6 volts consistently, with only slight drops of 0.1 or 0.2 when I try on accessories to try to replicate a load.

I'm also unable to shift even when pressing down on the brake, but I'm assuming it's related as it occurred at the same time.

I haven't noticed any starting or performance issues until now. What's the next thing I should check? The starter relay? According to the manual, the wipers and the starter use the same rated relay (30A). I'm thinking I could swap them to test that theory. Is there anything else I should check as a common cause?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
At first I thought it might be the battery, but it is only 3 years old and the scantool reports 12.4-12.6 volts consistently, with only slight drops of 0.1 or 0.2 when I try on accessories to try to replicate a load.
12.4 VDC is low. Is this an auto or manual trans? Have you tried cranking it with a jump start?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured out what was going on. The last time I stopped, I put the car in park - but the shifter only put it in reverse. I was able to start it by supplying 12v directly to the starter relay from the battery. It still won't shift from park without using the lock bypass method I've seen mentioned elsewhere. Reverse, Neutral, drive and the lower gear work fine - but going back to Park stays at reverse and locks the shifter again even when the car is running and the brake is applied. Does this sound like an issue with the shifter itself? Everything seems to be working fine otherwise and there are no DTCs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts