Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen A LOT of problems with different year focuses vibrating at or around 60 mph and stopping or easing down at 75 mph. One thing I have not seen yet is someone with somewhat of a solution to this issue. Some of the posts are over 5 years old. I am assuming that those posters have finally fixed the problem after spending bookoo money and just decided not to post a plausible solution.
Does anyone have any insight on this??? Because I'm about to turn my car over to a shop and prefer not to flush money down the toilet if someone has solved this issue.

Restatement of issue: Both seats roughly vibrate along with steering wheel slightly, causing glove compartment area to shake, which can be also felt in the pedals a little, all starting at 60 mph and almost ending at 70-75 mph.
Issue only happens on the highway.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Most likely wheels/Tires/Balance for that, at least you need to start checking there first.

Speed dependent vibrations that aren't lessened with engine speed/load dropped in neutral are usually at the wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely wheels/Tires/Balance for that, at least you need to start checking there first.

Speed dependent vibrations that aren't lessened with engine speed/load dropped in neutral are usually at the wheels.
I just put two new tires on the front about 2 months ago. The back ones weren't in immediate need. Is it possible a weight has fallen off as a result of improper balancing?
As a start, I will drop it off for balancing first thing. Will return with post-prognosis...
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
55-60 is a common "sweet spot" for balance problems to show up.

Harmonic vibration at a certain speed is why you see it worst in a small speed range. I've had a small amount of ice on a wheel virtually vibrate the wheel out of my hands at 55, clean it off & smooth as silk.

Tape weights & clip-ons can both fall off, particularly when just installed. Type used depends on rim style.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Even without the weights falling off, after 10k miles I feel a little vibration at freeway speeds. Get the tires rotated and rebalanced and it goes away for another 10k or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2010 and I was fighting this issue constantly. I can tell you after numerous tire balancing rounds with Discount Tire and eventually purchasing a set of Pirrelli P7 tires, the issue is almost completely gone. The first set of tires I bought for this thing were the cheaper Khumo brand and no matter what the shop did, could not ever get the vibrating to go away. They even replaced the entire set and the vibration was still there.

At one point I was convinced it was a bad bearing or bent wheel that was causing this issue as it was very annoying driving 100 miles a day to work and back with this thing vibrating the whole way. This body style of the Focus seems to be very sensitive to even the slightest imperfection in the tire and will feel like you are behind shaken to death by driving!

If you've verified that you do not have a bent wheel (and I would say even the slightest bit bent that most shops would say they can balance it out), then I would advise you to purchase a GOOD set of tires for this car.

^^ My 2 cents

--CDM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts