Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 22k miles on my Focus SES 4dr. It has the Kuhmo Solus KH16 stock tires on it. Took it to the tire shop to get rotated and they said 2 of them are at 3/32 and need to be replaced. Why did they wear down so fast?

I remember seeing a TSB for front end alignment causing premature tire wear.

Any ideas?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Thats about all they last, sorry.
I managed to milk mine to 30K, but thats with super long-distance driving and rotation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a good set of tires to replace them for about 100 a tire or so? I think they are the 215/45/17 or somewhere around there

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Its really about your driving habits and location on where you drive. Tell us what you want from Your tires

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly just commuting. Maybe some hard turns once in a while but mostly straight line driving. I want them to be fairly quiet and last a while. So mainly just a normal tire that gives a decent ride, lasts a while and has decent grip. Something good all around.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i put Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season) 215/45R17, best tires that iv ever put on a car, nice and quite and handles awesome, iv put bout 12k on them and they are at 6/32, so they are wearing pretty good

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i've rotated mine (same tires, same car) every oil change and have made it to 27,000 miles, but i wont make it thru the winter. ill be buying tires soon. they are simply crappy tires.

im going to go with continental extreme contact dws tires.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i put Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season) 215/45R17, best tires that iv ever put on a car, nice and quite and handles awesome, iv put bout 12k on them and they are at 6/32, so they are wearing pretty good
with 12K, you should have more than 6/32nds.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I'm on kumho escta all season high performance and they're very good with daily commuting. I got them on tirerack for 75 a piece, I think. Installed them when I had 4k miles now I'm at 30k and still have about 5/32 left. Yes I do baby my car but still take corners like NASCAR

Actually almost 3/32. Have about 1k left until for some new tires

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine have been on the car for 36k miles and are still fine, at my last maintenance check up they still had good tread left, of course after checking the other day it looks like they're getting a bit low..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I only got 12K miles out of mine and that was with rotating them every 3000 miles. I took them off this winter to put on my winter wheels and saw they were already at the wear bars. I do only do local driving but either way its disgusting to only get 12k miles out of a set of all season tires.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
it sucks, but that's the way it is for me. I'm at 65,xxx miles and getting ready to get yet another set if tires, set number 4! So that's 3 sets in 65,000 miles.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i've rotated mine (same tires, same car) every oil change and have made it to 27,000 miles, but i wont make it thru the winter. ill be buying tires soon. they are simply crappy tires.

im going to go with continental extreme contact dws tires.
I'm now at 32,000 miles and around 5/32nds. Still doing okay surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have about 22k miles on my Focus SES 4dr. It has the Kuhmo Solus KH16 stock tires on it. Took it to the tire shop to get rotated and they said 2 of them are at 3/32 and need to be replaced. Why did they wear down so fast?

I remember seeing a TSB for front end alignment causing premature tire wear.

Any ideas?
I have 19K on mine and they look rough too !! Wondering on what to expect with new tires .. Im looking for a quiet ride !![dunno]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know I'm on the lowly 15" but...I'm also looking into tire shopping the next few months.

On my car, the prev. owner put on Kumho Solus kr21's which are supposedly good for 70k. Looks like they'll go 45k ish although I'm pretty content with driveability for the moment.

Doing some research I'm leaning towards the Yoko AVID ENVigors or their new TRZ for the next set after summer.

In regards to tire pricing...
A helpful thing is that America's Tire/ Discount Tire runs a lot cheaper compared to firestone. They do not charge for the TPMS rebuild and will price match to online prices.
The same tire (Potenza RE960AS for 15" wheel) installed is $470 at Discount and $522.00 at Firestone, who's parent company MAKES them. I price matched some 245 18" Pirelli's about a year+ ago at Discount and saved about $200. I didn't see anyone mention Firestone tires but I don't think a lot of people know about the price matching, either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Rotating tire every 3,000 miles is excessive and can do more harm than good, as the tires aren't on long enough to develop a wear pattern. Every six months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first is when they should be rotated, along with yearly alignment checks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im on my second set on my focus coming up on a rotation here soon. I got uniroyal tiger paws back in septmeber I beleive it was. This will be my second rotation and so far these tires are looking pretty good. My first tires were pirelli P4 four seasons i beleive which where down to the wear bar within 18000 miles or so.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't get Fuzion tires, had them and they got wobbly tire noises. Checked alignment and OK, swapped on Goodyear Eagles and quiet as a Town Car. Rotated once after 6k miles and still quiet ride.

Fuzions were fairly new when I got my car used in Oct 2010 at 40k miles, got rid of them at 66k. Started wobble noise at like 50K or so,

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Alright I have read what everyone has said in the above threads and was looking for some help. I am upgrading to EAP's and will need tires soon so what would you guys recommend? This is what I would like out of my tires:

1. Longevity
2. Comfort (Ride and low noise)
3. Grip (MN winters can be rough... not that there is such a tire that is that much better on ice than another)

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts