Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I'm aware my focus doesn't have a cabin/pollen filter. If it does can someone tell me where?

Now if it doesn't have one, is it possible to install one? I have no problem with designing a filter box and 3d printing it to hold a filter but does anyone know where I could put it? I haven't opened up the glove box to see what's back there but is it even possible?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's a non-serviceable part. It's under neath the passenger side window cowl. There is a thread here somewhere where somebody did put one in there.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Shiny and new post on this subject here; -OK, fresh from 2006

In 05 Ford decided that Focus owners should have to deal with dust and pollen from the vent and replaced the cabin air filter holder with a simple wire mesh that's spaced so that mosquitos can easily fit through it. It's also installed with a foam glue similar to Great Stuff window and door sealer that is VERY difficult to remove. The filter, if you can call it that, is located under the passenger cowl cover.

You will need to locate an earlier model Foci in a junkyard that will allow you to pull your own parts. Take a chisel, hammer, both screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers or 10mm deep well. Remove the old cabin air filter assembly. Throw away filter which is probably moldy and smells like the rags under the kitchen sink. I suggest cleaning the assembly with bleach and water to kill any mold. Removing the screen on your car will be more difficult, but you should have learned how to remove the cowl cover, and I would also practice removing the firewall plastic on the junkyard car also because you will need to remove it on your car so that you can chisel away the foam glue.

Keep "Quality is Job 1" in the back of your head when you're looking at the hole that Ford cut in the cowl to allow air into the cabin.

Home Depot or Lowes sell foam rubber insulation with adhesive backing in the door section which is what I'd suggest to replace the foam glue. This will make it easier to remove the assembly later if you need to clean mold off it. I'd try to keep the insulation in one piece so that you only have one gap to bother with after the install. I'd also use a silicon caulk around the outside of the installed insulation for added protection. I would not caulk the assembly so that it couldn't be removed. From what I've read from other FF's, the cabin air filter assembly installs in the same location with the same hardware as the 05+ chicken wire screen.

Some FF's with filters have reported mold grows on the filter, so check your filter periodically.
I double checked rockauto.com before buying mine a couple weeks ago. Opened up the cowl and BOOM! -brand new filter was wrong size. Amazon also thinks it fits my car -guess they are talking about engine intake inlet, which also would not fit. I am going to try again next month. Anyone want a new ACDELCO A2040C ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts