Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 weeks ago, my wife reported power steering problems. I didn't put 2 and 2 together beforehand, and saw a small puddle under her car before going to work.

So, I'm busy, she's busy. She uses my car and we take it to the dealer. Dealer replaces the power steering pump, and sends us on our way.

Problem persists. Take it back. Dealer changes the steering rack, and sends us on our way. Power steering still whining. I bleed the lines at home myself. Car is fine the next day, but by tomorrow, whine is back. Leaking again.

So, back to the dealer. They replace rack, pump, and hose this time, and sends us on our way again.

I bleed the lines manually again, and it's running better. Wife takes it to work, brings it home, says she smells something burning. I pop her hood and there is literally, PS fluid EVERY WHERE. It's on top of the reservoir, all over her exhaust, and dripping down to the ground.

The dealership has no idea what the problem is, and they've about given up on it.

Does anyone have an idea here on where to guide them?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
First, since dealer performed all this work, I would hold them responsible to find the problem and fix it. Also, sounds to me like they have no clue what they are doing and should be giving you a refund.

Second, I would not be performing any work on the P/S system. This give dealer a way out (i.e. you broke it after they had it fixed).

Leaking the way it is (all over everything) should make it easy to spot the source. I am thinking the suction hose between the reservoir and P/S pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I haven't touched it. It's currently back at the dealership. I, honestly, expected a lot better for them, but it just seems like they're throwing parts at it right now.

I bled the lines by taking the cap off, and rotating the tires like I used to do in my 71 f100.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
They ARE throwing parts at it! It is HIGHLY unlikely that all that failed at one time.

I am suspecting a leak in the suction hose. The system will draw in air while running and cause the reservoir to overflow due to foaming, hence P/S fluid everywhere.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago, my wife reported power steering problems. I didn't put 2 and 2 together beforehand, and saw a small puddle under her car before going to work.

So, I'm busy, she's busy. She uses my car and we take it to the dealer. Dealer replaces the power steering pump, and sends us on our way.

Problem persists. Take it back. Dealer changes the steering rack, and sends us on our way. Power steering still whining. I bleed the lines at home myself. Car is fine the next day, but by tomorrow, whine is back. Leaking again.

So, back to the dealer. They replace rack, pump, and hose this time, and sends us on our way again.

I bleed the lines manually again, and it's running better. Wife takes it to work, brings it home, says she smells something burning. I pop her hood and there is literally, PS fluid EVERY WHERE. It's on top of the reservoir, all over her exhaust, and dripping down to the ground.

The dealership has no idea what the problem is, and they've about given up on it.

Does anyone have an idea here on where to guide them?
Hi stellgod,

I see you also mentioned your Focus was at the dealer yesterday. How did the trip go? Please let me know, along with your mileage, so I can look into this further.

Meagan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car was at the dealer for nearly 3 weeks. They replaced the reservoir yesterday, and it quite possibly fixed the problem. There was no more power steering fluid covering my engine compartment at least.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That's great that they were finally able to fix it. Thank you for the follow-up to let us know what fixed it.

What a demonstration of absolute TOTAL incompetence on the part of the dealership's mechanic(s). It is a good thing that you didn't have a bad spark plug...they would probably have replaced the engine to fix that.

I would find another place to take my car if I were you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could. We use this dealership simply because they can get my wife's car in and out in a very short amount of time. Am I wrong to expect better from a dealership? The reason I don't go to the multitude of shade tree mechanics in town is because I know they'll throw parts at it, but if the dealership is going to do the same thing and charge me extra. What's the point?

I guess now I know why their service dept is rarely busy. I guess now that I've got a 2015 Fit that she can use for work, I can go back to my preferred mechanic.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well, three weeks for such a simple problem...I wouldn't call that "a very short amount of time". And yes, you should expect better from a dealership.

They threw parts at it until something stuck. I wouldn't even believe them now that the reservoir was the problem.

I cannot understate how unbelievable and unforgivable what they did is. I would be super pissed!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My car was at the dealer for nearly 3 weeks. They replaced the reservoir yesterday, and it quite possibly fixed the problem. There was no more power steering fluid covering my engine compartment at least.
Hi stellgod,

I'm glad to hear things are going well. Please keep me in the loop on this; if any symptoms return, I can check into some options.

Meagan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts