Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

new problem popped up today on my 2010 focus automatic with approx 145,000 miles on it. I am hearing a loud rattle coming from the center console where the radio/CD player and fan controls are. I can turn the fan on or off, still rattles. I have checked the engine mounts, transmission fluid, etc, all that seems fines. I spent an hour today inside the car feeling around for anything loose or trying to pinpoint where this is coming from. It seems to be coming from the general area of the radio/CD player and where the air vents are. could this be a loose blower motor?

thank you !

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you have floor jack, then put a block of wood on it and slightly jack up the engine while running. If the dash rattle changes, then the source of the noise is likely not under the dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks! I think you are onto something as I was running REAL crappy gas in the car. I put hi octane in it and STP gas treatment.......and the rattle is gone.....just not sure what to make of that though....but thanks for the response! sounds like I need a tune up as it's running real rough on 87 octane making the dashboard rattle a little. it's not real loud, but it's annoying listening to going down the road. the engine mounts seem t be ok (at least that is what teh ford dealer says) will keep you posted and good advice

·
Registered
103 Posts
Passenger side motor mount. It will drive like a new car. Do a quick search and make sure you get the OEM mount. It is like 4 bolts and should be done anyway since this is a common wear part on the MK2 focus.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Harmonic vibration is a common occurrence. It isn't really something you 'cure' so much as it is something you just deal with in an interior made using minimal sound insulation and cheap hard plastics.

When you start to 'feel' it in the steering wheel is when you should consider inspecting your mounts.

In my car, I discovered the panel below the steering column was generating an annoying rattle and simply removed it until I can find a way to reinforce the flimsy plastic panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts