Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks;
My 2010 Focus SES won't start at all and is completely dead (no clicks or lights or anything when i try to start it) unless i jump start it using my jumper cable and jump starting device.
After i jump start it, it runs fine and no issues at all until i turn it off then start all over again and it's dead again.

Any idea? Anyone seen this issue before?
i thought the alternator would charge the battery after running the car for like 15-20 minutes or could the battery be so bad it won't even charge?
I hope someone could help with this issue

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello folks;
My 2010 Focus SES won't start at all and is completely dead (no clicks or lights or anything when i try to start it) unless i jump start it using my jumper cable and jump starting device.
After i jump start it, it runs fine and no issues at all until i turn it off then start all over again and it's dead again.

Any idea? Anyone seen this issue before?
i thought the alternator would charge the battery after running the car for like 15-20 minutes or could the battery be so bad it won't even charge?
I hope someone could help with this issue
Seems like a really dead battery. The alternator keeps things going as long as the engine is on. A badly degraded battery won't take a charge. How bright are your headlights on battery before you start the car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a really dead battery. The alternator keeps things going as long as the engine is on. A badly degraded battery won't take a charge. How bright are your headlights on battery before you start the car?
Before i start the car there's absolutely nothing on, no clicks and no lights & no sounds at all. i have to jump start the car every single time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Before i start the car there's absolutely nothing on, no clicks and no lights & no sounds at all. i have to jump start the car every single time
Check voltage at battery terminals with car on and off. It should be 12.7v or so in resting state with the car off, and close to 13 freshly after the car is turned off.

The correct jump start procedure is to apply the red to positive terminal, and black to somewhere near the engine block. But are you able to jump start by applying cable to the battery terminals? If so, then your battery wiring is likely fine, and that leaves your most likely cause as a broken battery (internally broken connection).
This is assuming you made sure the terminals are attached securely to the battery

·
Registered
629 Posts
Does sound like really dead battery. If so, change it before you kill your alternator.

Probably don't have to mention this but make sure the terminals are tight with no wiggle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check voltage at battery terminals with car on and off. It should be 12.7v or so in resting state with the car off, and close to 13 freshly after the car is turned off.

The correct jump start procedure is to apply the red to positive terminal, and black to somewhere near the engine block. But are you able to jump start by applying cable to the battery terminals? If so, then your battery wiring is likely fine, and that leaves your most likely cause as a broken battery (internally broken connection).
This is assuming you made sure the terminals are attached securely to the battery
Thanks for your reply.. yes i used the battery terminals to jump start and it works and the terminals are secured.
it's weird that with jump start it works fine like no issues at all but once i turn the car off, it's completely dead car with nothing at all & even the remote to lock/unlock won't work

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does sound like really dead battery. If so, change it before you kill your alternator.

Probably don't have to mention this but make sure the terminals are tight with no wiggle.
I agree i should change the battery. I will try to test it tomorrow and buy one if it's a complete failure

·
Registered
8 Posts
as others have mentioned, possible bad battery...but also make sure the battery posts and the inside portion of the battery cable that tightens down on the battery post are clean...if one or both are corroded it will cause those symptoms. I started smearing a little grease on both battery terminals which prevents the corrosion from forming.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as others have mentioned, possible bad battery...but also make sure the battery posts and the inside portion of the battery cable that tightens down on the battery post are clean...if one or both are corroded it will cause those symptoms. I started smearing a little grease on both battery terminals which prevents the corrosion from forming.
Thanks... I replaced the battery with a brand new one and it seems fine so far

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks... I replaced the battery with a brand new one and it seems fine so far
It's not too common for a battery to fail the way yours did. Is it held down securely? If it's just sitting there and bouncing and sliding around, it will fail the same way again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not too common for a battery to fail the way yours did. Is it held down securely? If it's just sitting there and bouncing and sliding around, it will fail the same way again.
it's held down securely and not moving at all and the terminals are tight

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Did you ever test whether the charging system is working and charging the battery? It just takes a el cheapo voltmeter. Definitely something you should do to insure the health of the new battery.

Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you ever test whether the charging system is working and charging the battery? It just takes a el cheapo voltmeter. Definitely something you should do to insure the health of the new battery.

Paul
No.. I will do that... Thanks for the tip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts