Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi @ 8200 miles my 2010 SEL is great. One thing is bothering me:-
I drive modestly (mostly short town journeys) On the freeway I gun it" (at least once per week) Town MPG around 18-24 -- Freeways say 150/200 miles @ between 55-80mph ->MPG = 24-26mpg. I did get 34/35MPG on a freeway trip,
But I kept the top speed to around 55/60.
Overall I feel this just seems a little low!
O/D ON, Tire pressures as per Book, Dealer oil change etc. every 3000K..
Chevron Regular" -- Am I being paranoid? [wiggle][wiggle]

·
Registered
357 Posts
Same here on an 09 SES with about 15,000 miles. I don't seem to be able to get the expected mileage. If I really granny it I can get about 28 city, but then I get bored of that and get my usual 24 mpg city. All my driving is city though, barely any highway. If gunned it everywhere I would be looking at 20mpg city.

I'm considering some autolite's at 0.055 and then hoping some other mods might help like an exhaust and a tune. The only mod I have so far is an SRI.

I've run both supreme/91 octane and regular/87 octane, both had very similar affects on mpgs.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
AT's?

If so, then that's about typical for the old 4 spd auto. Those just don't get the combined fuel economy like the manual transmissions- if driven conservatively. You have to consider AC usage too, you can easily expect a 2 mpg drop with the AC on. Making short trips like my wife does, you can't expect much from any engine other than a plug-in electric hybrid or EV. Sure, the gauge looks like the engine is warm, but if you use the electronic odometer trick to check coolant temp in C, then you'll find out that it reads in the middle long before the engine is at normal operating temperature which is around 100C.

Neither you nor your Focus is alone in this issue. One of Motor Trend's writers recently wrote an article about mileage misrepresentation by manufacturers. There are all these advertisements showing 40 mpg + on new vehicles, but they don't explain that is with X package, and typically with the manual transmission. 90% of Americans (and 100% of carjackers) drive automatic transmissions. A brand new Hyundai Elantra- touting a 40 mpg hwy figure- only actually got 23.7 mpg in Motor Trend's test, the lowest of the bunch. How'd you like to be expecting 40 and getting 25?

Anyway, if you really want good fuel economy in all areas regardless of transmission then IMO you should get a small turbo diesel- unfortunately only available in VWs currently. However, the VW's dual clutch auto gets the same fuel economy as the manual trans. Even the larger Passat gets over 40 on the hwy. Really, the diesels are the only way to go for us conservative drivers. The good thing is that today's diesels are not like yesteryears's slow smoke puffers. In the same test as the Elantra mentioned above, the VW Jetta TDI had the quickest acceleration of the bunch tested which were all C segment cars with ATs including the new 2012 Focus.

One final thing, because I don't really expect you to run out to your local VW dealer and trade in your car, but you can rest on some small consolation that fuel economy will improve over time. Also, I always suggest to people to try out every fuel, and ever fuel grade for at least 2 tanks keeping track of mileage the old fashioned way with the trip odometer. I don't recommend going too far out of the typical work path, but do what you can do. You might find that a fuel that typically costs 5 cents more gives you 3 mpg more which relates to savings in dollars per tank instead of 50 cents per tank. Always compare $/mile, especially when comparing fuel grades like 87 to 93. I personally haven't found higher octane to be economically viable for me, but people in different elevations report different findings- you have to test it yourself.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine's an ATX.

*rant*- Of course, I have the typical reason for this.... my girlfriend (pretty much wife) can't drive a MTX. I'm constantly complaining about the tranny because I know I could get a couple more mpgs when I'm babying it, and more response when I want it.... but I'm always glad to have an ATX when I'm in rush hour traffic.
*end rant*

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foci" MPG

Thank you all for your feedback,
My mpg' seems in line with the average,
So Be It... Tx Again.[thumb]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts