Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have a 2010 / 2011 Focus Sedan 1.8 Petrol.

I bought it second hand in April this year. It has a full agents service history.

When I got it, I noticed that while driving at night, the headlights look like they are flickering all the time and it gets worse the longer you drive. Took it in and apparently it is the alternator which was bad. Changed the alternator with genuine Ford replacement part, and replaced the battery with the correct size and type, and the problem seemed to go away.

It is now October and the other night the same happened, but the car cut out as well, and the stereo died with all the dash lights coming on and then it comes back to life again. I picked up it is worse when you turn the power steering with times even cutting out completely if you drive and quickly jerk the steering wheel.

The auto electrical workshop cant find the problem. Tested the battery all fine. Alternator charges all fine. No loose earth wires etc. Fuses all ok. Diagnostics does not give any error codes.

I did pick up that battery is 12.5V when car is off. On idle it is 13.85V solid. When you put lights etc on it keeps it at 13.85. When you turn the power steering, the power dips,and then it shoots up to 14V, but it is almost like the alternator adjusts the feed too late, which causes the power to dip very low, (11.8V).

Is there any other sensors that one needs to test etc? This model has a full electrical power steering system.

It also does not happen all the time. I would drive for 30 min with no issues at all, lights on, stereo on, fan etc. Then park, start fine but when reversing and turning the steering wheel, the stereo goes dead, lights dim and the car wants to stall.

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Guys

Ok, so now the Focus has been at the agents for almost a week. First they said it is the power steering motor. Then they came back saying it is the steering positioning sensor, and that these are not made by Ford anymore.

I explained that even when you do not use the steering wheel, and put on the wipers etc, the lights start dimming etc as well. (Please note, this is the same Ford dealership that sold us the replacement alternator). Now they say that they have to do more tests, because it might be that the alternator or the voltage regulator is bad. They never drove the car with the lights etc all on and checking the voltage and the constancy. Hopefully it is just the voltage regulator and after replacing the alternator once again, all will be fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi All.

Ok so I am totally lost. After all the stuff at the dealer,etc etc, I am still getting the same issue. I have tried unplugging the steering positioning sensor and driving. Focus drives fine for almost a month, and then randomly starts stalling when turning. If I keep the car parked and idling, and then turn the steering wheel all the way to the one side, the power steering starts to "thumb" and the electronics start to die down and eventually the idling gets erratic, and while holding the steering at full lock, it car just dies, and I get engine warning light and steering light coming on.

This happened the whole weekend. Drive the car to work this morning, no issue!

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts