Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 2.0L DOHC 5 Speed Manual Focus Sedan.

Looking to make some reliable upgrades/mods to increase performance. I live in Metro Detroit, drive a good mix of highway and city, and currently get about 30.9 MPG city and 35-37 Highway. I am willing to sacrifice some fuel efficiency for more horsepower, but not too much.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
cold air or short ram intake, header, catback, and most importantly because its where youll gain the most is a tune

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
the "chip" your probably thinking of is a tune with a sct xcal handheld programmer if your talkin ebay "performance chip" i wouldnt put one of those on my lawn mower and well yeah a turbo will give you a large performance gain and if you stay out of boost when daily driving you wont lose a whole lot of mpg but turbo kits arent cheap check out focus-power.com fswerks.com and topspeedperformance.net

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Your Focus doesn't have a 'chip', it has an ECU. You can buy a flasher with a tune i.e. xcal3 which is probably your best bang for the buck and go FI for max fun factor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
remember, if you are going to do something crazy like turbo it, you're going to void your warranty and you'll need other stuff. for example you'll need a better clutch, a limited slip differential to get that power to the road. then on top of it you might want bigger brakes so you can stop the dang thing... and then suspension work (coil-overs, sway bars, etc) to be able to handle that speed in a turn.

this gets expensive quick!

I started with a cat-back exhaust, a cold air intake (I went short-ram, have had no issues with the "heat soak" people claim they get), and a tune from focus-power (Tom). Before I do any more power things I'm probably going to do springs. And I'm not even considering my dream of a turbo til I get the limited-slip differential on there.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
in all honesty a limited slip differential is not really a necessity for a turbo car but it does help im going turbo with a luk replacement clutch, no lsd , regular non-svt brakes, and stock front and no- rear swaybar and im on eibaech pro-kit and stock shocks right now will be upgrading to sportlines on konni or eibach shocks but not for better handling jusr moar low it already handles pretty damn good. all these thing will help but are not really necessities the clutch will become a necessity as i go for more power and this one starts to get worn out but really you can get one of the kits and it comes with the necessary parts but would void warranty if you try and take it in for service with a turbo kit on it

·
Registered
486 Posts
Once you drive a FWD car with a Torsen there is no going back - My SVT Contour is so much fun to drive with 185hp/tq and a Torsen, 18" Z radials didn't stand a chance, but I could take clover leaf corners at redline in 3rd gear, which is around 90mph - not going to chance banging 4th in an all out powerslide into traffic :p

I''m getting ~ 36mpg a tank in my car, bone stock. Does anyone have real world results from adding mods and calculating MPG data? I'm wondering what the best investment return would be - obviously a tune is last to get the most out of it, but what is the cost cost affective? I'm not currently looking for HP - but this car will eventually turn into a toy when I graduate into a larger car.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
dont get me wrong i plan on getting a lsd because it will be needed its just not a huge necessity but will help immensely if your making some power and need to get it to the ground. i have a short ram intake and a lunch box delete with the muffler replaced with a 2 inch in and out cherry bomb turbo and 2 1/4 from the mullfer back and no tune for it and my mpg is about the same as it was stock the main thing with the intake is if you plan on using the maf housing provided with the intake make sure that the inner diameter of the tube is the same as your MAF housing because if you dont get a tune for it a larger or smaller diameter tubing will change the accuracy of the reading the maf gets and will cause you to either run too rich or too lean and the exhaust as long as its cat back wont hurt anything. if anything you may gain a mpg from the intake since its letting the engine get the air it needs with out having to strain as much. from a tune you CAN gain mpg and horsepower how much im not sure of because im currently untuned but basically the same way as the intake everything is optimized more so the car runs better and more efficiently the air/fuel mixture and spark timing are more vehicle and location specific instead of a base tune from ford thats made to be universal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
remember, if you are going to do something crazy like turbo it, you're going to void your warranty and you'll need other stuff. for example you'll need a better clutch, a limited slip differential to get that power to the road. then on top of it you might want bigger brakes so you can stop the dang thing... and then suspension work (coil-overs, sway bars, etc) to be able to handle that speed in a turn.

this gets expensive quick!

I started with a cat-back exhaust, a cold air intake (I went short-ram, have had no issues with the "heat soak" people claim they get), and a tune from focus-power (Tom). Before I do any more power things I'm probably going to do springs. And I'm not even considering my dream of a turbo til I get the limited-slip differential on there.
Do I run the risk of voiding my warranty if I install a CAI, Cat, or anything else suggested to me?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Do I run the risk of voiding my warranty if I install a CAI, Cat, or anything else suggested to me?
Yes. The sad truth is any performance part/add on can or will void your engine/transmission warranty. Now it depends on the dealership, some don't care, some have a absolute fit over it. I had the warranty on my mustang and truck voided over stupid air filters and exhaust, and had to fight to get it back. Both are old and out of warranty now anyway. My personal feeling is a cat back exhaust and intake such as the Roush/Airaid should be fine, but be prepared to hear the back pressure and additional airflow b/s lecture.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ford dealers are usually pretty lax. The Ford Warranty Policy says as long as the mod doesn't directly cause your problem, you're covered, but you DON'T want your dealer finding out you tuned it or turboed it. a CAI you can swap back on with stock when you go in, evn if it causes your problem, and they could care less about exhausts. I donno about the cat, considering it's illegal to remove or modify one in most (all?) states. Ain't stopping me... lol.

But the race header I'm getting, yeah, prob would void my warranty-- if they knew about it. Most bolt on's are okay though.

Just swap back parts if you take it in, and go back to stock tune. It's worth it if it's fixing something that was legitimately a warranty issue!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Torsen!

in all honesty a limited slip differential is not really a necessity for a turbo car but it does help im going turbo with a luk replacement clutch, no lsd , regular non-svt brakes, and stock front and no- rear swaybar and im on eibaech pro-kit and stock shocks right now will be upgrading to sportlines on konni or eibach shocks but not for better handling jusr moar low it already handles pretty damn good. all these thing will help but are not really necessities the clutch will become a necessity as i go for more power and this one starts to get worn out but really you can get one of the kits and it comes with the necessary parts but would void warranty if you try and take it in for service with a turbo kit on it
You drive a a car w/ a Torsen around a corner & 1 w/ out, & see what you say. I don't care if their stock 120 whp or 300 whp car's. I've had a torsen on back order from Toulsey, should be here next week, & my car is stock motor w/ BSD w/ windage tray, UDP's Steeda SRI, Borla 2.25'' exhaust, dogbone & CFM's fca's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TORSEN !

Hey Felix, do you know if any limited slip differential's still exist anywhere for the 08-11 Focus ?

This is driving me insane !��

1 - 18 of 18 Posts