Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I looked into FocusSport's Cold Air Intake kit, even though I also have a 2.0L Duratec, I was informed by Randy at FocusSport that it will not fit on a 2009, but said they were working on one.

Anybody out here have an '09 with a cold air intake on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
look into the steeda it should fit, but it is an sri not cai... i dont think there is a cai for the 08 yet let alone the 09... someone correct me if i am wrong

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
no cai's yet for the 08/09s. hes right, it wont work. just WAIT....let FS come out with theirs. it will be well worth it. cai over sri=no comparison. especially on the FS, as it bends up, so no worries of hydrolock. more HP, no heatsoak, better stoichiometry. trust me. ive had 5 diff. intakes, including the FS and the Steeda.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Nem.. I am telling you that you have to let the person decide which type is best. I have seen the FS in person and looked where the filter location is. I would have destroyed my motor 3 times last year in a bad rainstorm which we get pretty commonly here.

Don't discount an SRI. Heatsoak is overplayed, especially with the location of the filter. (away from the exhaust manifold right behind the headlight). No chance of hydrolock or even the filter getting damp. And to boot its easy to clean and install. Honestly the HP gains advertised are IMO pretty much dumb. Look at my dyno sheet compared to others. Someone can have the same mods as me except for they might have a CAI instead of the SRI and we make the same power. 5 HP differences on a four cylinder on a dyno is negligable.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
im giving you my input knowing that others will refute it. i pretty much know that as i type, you will be posting back right after lol. i almost wrote 'queue jetrinka' lol.

i do not know how you could have hydrolocked though. heres the thing. as heatsoak may be overplayed (and i dont think it is, b/c as i said, i have actually HAD both setups), i think hydrolock is grossly overplayed. this is my argument....

on hydrolock:

the stock setup sucks in the air just as a cai does, with the snorkel in the fenderwell. i know uve seen where it is. it is actually lower than where my FS filter sits. so, if you could hydrolock on the FS, you could most def. lock on the stock setup. if anything, the FS could be safer than the stock setup. but, i never hear anyone complain that the stock system hydrolocked. b/c it never happens. hydrolock hardly EVER happens, and if it does, its usually b/c of either the driver making a REALLY stupid decision, like forging a river, or the cai was set reall low, with no shield, and the person still made a dumb decision. i dont think that issue would happen with the focus's setup with the splashguard and how the FS sits up so high.

now, for me to hydrolock, i would have to drive in water that is up past my headlights! that is where my fs filter sits (in order to SUBMERGE the filter). that means the water would be up just under my windows. as in, water coming into the car from the bottom of the door. now, who in the HELL would drive through water that friccin deep?? certainly noone on here. i mean, at that level, simple hydrolocking would be the least of your worries. as far as i am concerned, if you do that, you shouldnt be driving in the first place. I have driven through crazy nor'easters up here. i drove through the north shore of massachusetts a lot when they had such bad flooding that they were declared a federal disaster area. never ONCE have i had an issue. i have gotten out and felt up there. bone dry. its not an area that gets wet anyways. i mean, a car wash would be a better test. and i go thru them all the time.

as far as heatsoak goes, i have owned both the steeda and the fs. my experience with heatsoak issues was terrible. the bogging at lights was awful, and even more magnified, as when i was heading to work, i had to come to a stoplight, right before turing to go up a steep hill. the bogging at that single light was so bad, it wouldnt even get up the hill. took it off, back to stock. NO problem. on to cai, POWERED thru. and that heatsoak issue was constant. not just at that light. at any light.

i feel that i am in a position to give this advice b/c i am one of the few people, if not the only one on this forum, who has owned both setups. i have also had the stealth, stock, and modified stealth with the upper FS bend. not just seen them. actually owned and operated them over time. just like i couldnt compare my advice on a header for the focus to anyone else's on the site.

also, if one decides not to look at HP differences, you can always look at price. or better yet, price per pony. the steeda is more expensive than many cais, like the HPS. 150 bucks for 10 hp=15 bucks each.
steeda would be 220 for 6 hp=36 bucks each.

the only benefit anyone has mentioned for the sri is the hydrolock one. and i simply do NOT think it would be an issue, for the reasons noted above.

please note, this is only for the FS, b/c of its upward bend. its why i got it. others that do not bend back up, i cannot say if hydrolock would be an issue or not, though i doubt it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I am not sure how you think the FS filter sits at the same level as the stock snorkel.. The stock snorkel sits right about even with where the middle of the battery would be if you drew a line straight over. On top of that if the FS filter sat right behind the headlight I don't know why we are arguing because thats exactly where the Steeda sits as well. I own a Steeda. My friend owns the FS. I have seen both. The Steeda sits much higher.

And yes it is stupid regardless to drive through very deep puddles but when its your only way home (and it was) I was glad I didn't have a CAI of any kind. If I had I would have taken it off and ran bare throttle body.

You tell us your experiences and I will tell you mine. When giving advice to newer members you must provide all the options and let them decide for themselves. Thats my issue.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
this argument is stupid

there are no CAIs for the 08/09 at this point

i like my steeda but i'm sure the FS one will be great too

please read the stickies, as they have all the information about parts available already listed

lockie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.