Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2009 Ford focus LOUD engine

787 14
Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I've always been told my engine was loud. It also vibrates. Just had a serpentine belt replaced and the thermostat housing replaced but noise is still there. Help!!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
23 Posts
Yes, a video can help. Exhaust rusting out is a possibility. Don't know what you mean by the engine being loud on the inside. I think the 2009s still had the tumble flaps in the intake manifold, and those could make loud rattling noises when they go bad. Though I thought that was an issue on earlier cars.

· Registered
2009 Ford Focus 111,600 miles engine LOUD. NEW SERPENTINE BELT REPLACEMENT AND THERMOSTAT HOUSING
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry didn't get a video yesterday. But thank you for all the advice and I will be checking out all the things you suggested. When I find out I will let you all know for future issues people may have.

· Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I've always been told my engine was loud. It also vibrates. Just had a serpentine belt replaced and the thermostat housing replaced but noise is still there. Help!!
Hi. I've never commented on here before, but had the same issue. Mine was resolved replacing the motor mounts. The tech could've removed or loosened a mount to replace your belt. Best of luck! Mods correct my response if I did it wrong. I've never posted or replied on any forum before, and I wasn't sure how/if the rules I read applied here. I have a 2013 st1.
Edit: other replies appeared and said what i did, sorry for the reply

· Registered
19,090 Posts
Ford has changed the design of the passenger side mount several times in an effort to stop noise but the major way they suspend the engine is a great part of why they make noise. Nissan does the same and has the same problem but not as bad as Ford does.

Most aftermarket mounts will make noise or break quick, you are far better off using an official Ford part at least until you no longer can get them.

· Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
23 Posts
If you change the passenger mount, it may be a good idea to change the lower "torque" mount as well. If that lower mount is bad it may let the engine rock too much which will wear out the passenger mount quicker.

· Registered
292 Posts
^^^ Also, the torque mount, or dog bone, can contribute to vibration, or cause it itself. I found that out on my 2003. Vibration ceased only after replacing the dog bone, although it did lessen when I replaced the passenger side with an OEM mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts