Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i have been looking into getting a remote start system for my car for the winter time. i live in Upstate NY and Connecticut as well, neither of which are particularly warm in the winter time. I looked at the ford website and saw that their remote start systems are for automatics only. is there a way to install this system onto my 5spd equipped car? i would prefer an oem system as i have not had good luck with aftermarket any of mine or my familys vehicles. thanks in advance guys. appreciate any and all help.

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
theres a shop here that i asked the same question in. they told me i could do it, but it would be more than the auto

·
Registered
19 Posts
i didn't think you could do remote start on a mani. the prob would be the PAT key and the that you need to have the clutch in to start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it is very possile to do it. they have new systems out that are aftermarket so they work on 5spd. (this is my disclaimer dont do it unless you know what you are doing. im not responsible for your mistakes) one way to do it is to jump the clutch safety switch so that way its no longer there. when i get my system i am having an installer from best buy (hopefully) do it on the side. the pats key is not a problem becuase when you do remote start you acctually loose one of your keys and it gets basically taped to your stearing collum to that pats always registars the fact that your key is right there to do it. if you look into viper systems they acctually have the bypass module for pats so that way it works on fords. your main problem is going to be able to find a shop to do it for you. i asked around here a few months back and they said no problem we could install it but as soon as i mentioned it was a 5spd they said no insurance will let them due to guys leaving it in gear and it going through the showroom which happens alot. wish ya luck and let us now if it works

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea have a certified shop install it because there is a lot to remote starts. It can be done. Make sure you get a kit that is made for manuals. And yes it will cost quite a bit. close to $500.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
the pats key is not a problem becuase when you do remote start you acctually loose one of your keys and it gets basically taped to your stearing collum to that pats always registars the fact that your key is right there to do it.
OMG If they have to do it like that there is no way I'd get it done!!

I worked at ford and while your right about needing to bypass the CPS for manuals you DO NOT want a pats key taped to your car. A PROPER system will come with a ring that you have to program to your car's pats system, anything else is garbage and not worth time, money, or thought. Seriously, I am no thief but if I see an alarm in a car I'm sure I could disarm a cheap one (they are simple and have done it before for work) and if I know those cheap brands have a pats key fob taped to it I guarantee I could steal it. So in that case why even bother, just leave your keys in the door for the crooks.

Get a quality system installed at a trusted (certified installer/dealer of the systems) and you won't regret it.

Jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
viper is by no means a cheap brand. you loose a key because you take the pats chip out of the key and put it in the bypass module from what i understood. i would totally go after a viper system like the 5900. mattzx3 had that system on his old zx3 and it was a nice set up. im sure he will chime in at some point.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
there are several modules now that do not require losing a key at all; just have to have two keys in order to program the module, but you get both back. I do these every day and the new viper models (5101, 5301, 5701, 5901) are capable of SAFELY being installed on a manual tranny. they will cost more to do because of the extra labor required. With my shop you'd be looking about $200 in additional parts and labor to install one of those vipers on a focus with a manual. those units range from $300-$500. I would strongly recommend only using a model that is setup to work on a manual for liability and safety reasons and of course professional installation.
I actually have the unit for my 09 on order right now as well as a couple extra security models and one for one touch and auto up windows

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kipp it sounds like your a veteran much like myself in the audio/video/security world! however Nismomudrunner to your original question as to wether or not the ford remote start would work on your car the answer is no. first off that system would be required to be installed by ford for any sort of warranty, and believe me if its not plug and play, mechanics usually get lost fast in electrical work. that system is plug and play but that system would have to be modded in order to work on a manual and thats where ford will get lost and tell you no. kipp did give some great advice in regards to the aftermarket stuff with the new lauch of viper/python/clifford now being safe on manual transmissions. i would like to point out a fact on user freindlyness. the new mts (manual trans mode) mode can be very unfreindly because when exiting the car you have to follow 4 steps exactly or it wont enter "safe" mode and the vehicle wont remotestart the next time you try. but those new units are the best of the best and they can be hooked up old school by using relays to bypass the clutch, just have to make sure your leaving the car in nuetral! and they have the new bypass kits for fords, dei xk04 which allows you to keep all your keys! also when you go aftermarket, you get nicer remotes with long range capabilities, security options, and 2-way (vehicle responds to back to your remote telling you if the vehicle started or not) depending on the model.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
Yeah I'm the install supervisor at best buy out here. been doin it a couple years.

And although any remote start can technically be put on a manual by bypassing the clutch it's highly not reccommended. The new systems are prety easy to use on a manual and alot safer as they will not start if left in gear. systems have been done in the past with a bypass and have caused serious injury or death if started in gear. they will jump forward and can cause alot of problems.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
viper is by no means a cheap brand. you loose a key because you take the pats chip out of the key and put it in the bypass module from what i understood. i would totally go after a viper system like the 5900. mattzx3 had that system on his old zx3 and it was a nice set up. im sure he will chime in at some point.
yes, i had the viper 5900, with relays on the radio accessory wire, and the blower motor switch

as for the bypass, there are two that i would recommend

the first, being the directed electronics 556u
its a universal bypass, place one of your keys into the bypass, seal the bypass, and it gets stored along-side the remote start brain, or elsewhere hidden out of sight, then there is a ring that goes around your ignition, so when you remote start it the car "reads" the key

the other, is the xk04..

the xko4 does NOT require the spare key, but instead acts as a third key
you must have two keys to program the bypass, but this bypass allows you to keep your keys. this bypass i would recommend having professionally installed, because i have heard of a few people un-programming their keys to their cars by programming it incorrectly.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have the viper 791xv i have a manual trans with the remote start. some shops will not install it on a manual tran becuase if the car is in gear and you hit the button on accident the car will start to hop foward each time it trys to start which is 3 times. i love my remote start.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes it can be done you dont have to loose a key, but you must go after market, alot of after market problems are installer error, just make sure you go to a shop with lots of security experience and you shouldn't have any problems, and always make sure the vehicle is in neutral and e brake is set everytime you get out of the vehicle, you never know when you might accidently hit the button in your pocket!

·
Registered
181 Posts
DEI 689M "neutral safty module for manual transmissions"

You have to perfom a shutdown squence so it will start. Nifty little box. I own one and I can't wait till my actual starter module gets here so I can install it. I'm going to be using a Autopage C3-RS603 remote starter, a DEI 689M neutral safty box, and a bulldog 791 bypass box for the pats bypass that i'm stealing from my g/f's car when I upgrade her neon's remote starter.

I'm going to install it into my 08. The 09 wiring is very simular.

I'm also planning on making a how-to for this as well.

check out www.the12volt.com for alot of useful information for practically all your install needs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts