Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange one. Maybe it's a North American model thing?

• My car doesn't seem to deadlock when it beeps and I am able to open the doors with the window down.
  • The central locking remote seems to be operational if I accidentally push a button whilst the engine is running/car is in motion - Is this normal? All my previous cars never did this.
I'll have to hook it up to Forscan and see if there is some option I need to enable but I don't recall seeing anything the last time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is how it works I believe. Car doors don’t have deadbolts? As far as I am aware anyway. On my 2009 the key fob lock button will lock the doors and flash lights on the first press, and then on second press flashes lights again and beeps horn. Doors are already locked at that point, horn honk means absolutely nothing as these cars don’t come with an alarm unless you have SYNC, AND a 2010 or 2011 model. You should be able to roll the window down, close the door and lock it, and reach in and pop open the door... the alarm won’t go off, because there is no alarm.

I’ve tried enabling “Perimeter Alarm” in FORscan, all that does is makes the first press of the fob’s lock button lock the doors, but no light flashes, and then second press yields a double-honk from the horn but still no lights. Note that this is normal behavior if you attempt to lock the car with a door ajar. I have read on the forums that this is because our cars do not have a hood ajar sensor, so the car thinks the hood is not shut and won’t enable the alarm. I am going to look into circumventing this, either in FORScan or by locating the connector for the would-be hood latch sensor and shorting it. We will see. I’ll post if I discover anything

cheers

ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting finding on the perimeter alarm. I'm sure being a Ford it's taped up somewhere.

Regards the "deadlock", the first generation Focus on the second lock press/beep would engage a second locking mechanism where by the door would be unable to open from the inside. This was true on all of my UK Fords anyway.

I'll be totally honest I didn't try to open the door with the window down on my 2004 NA Focus to see if it wouldn't open, but it was certainly present on my UK 2002. Those cars are practically identical down the body having the barrel hole for the keylock hood albeit the NA version opted not to use that.

I do know for a fact the locking wouldn't engage from the key whilst the engine was running on the first generation so its a bit weird.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is cool! I have never seen a car in America with door deadbolt locks. That sounds like a good idea tbh.

For the key fob thing, the 2008-9 (aka “Job 1”) North American Foci did not have a trunk release in the interior, so you had to use the key fob, which is probably why it works when the car is on. The late-‘09 through 11 (aka “Job 2”) models had slight revisions including the trunk release button, a rear dome light, and others. I just DIY-installed my own trunk release button by tapping into the cabin wiring, and also did my own DIY rear dome light. Anyway, my car is a manual so remote start is not possible. On cold mornings I like to hop out and start it defrosting, so being able to leave the key in the car and take the fob out with me and lock it as I walk away is nice. That way I can get into a warm car, clip the fob back on my keychain and I’m on my way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Still getting to know my car. Got a list of things I need to do.. Speakers are one thing, someone's tapped a speaker to line level adaptor which is causing the driver door speaker to do weird things. The mirror is shaking like nobodies business and it sounds muddy.

I did a little further digging on this double locking/dead locking.

Appears that NA models of any Ford don't include this for safety reasons apparently.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably some federal restriction on the baby lock I would guess. The majority of Americans are dumb, so if a product poses a potential liability it’s a no-go. Easy lawsuit. Guess we just have to dumb things down for the public lol.

Interesting to hear about that mirror rattle, my driver side mirror buzzes around 100hz with the speakers at almost any volume. Especially with the sub in place, even though I’ve turned down the bass on the head unit. I’ll look into that. Can’t hear it inside though, only outside, but irritatingly it completely blurs out my rear visibility when it’s buzzing.

And I have a line level subwoofer adapter soldered to the rear right speaker, running to the sub in the trunk. Doesn’t mess with the sound in the cabin one bit. Besides having a shitload more bass lol

ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would make a lot of sense, but then the UK Fords don't come with automatic locking as you drive as standard due to some other rule apparently over there (although other brands do this anyway).

Even though my previous cars didn't have a perimeter alarm, if you single tap the lock with the window down and open the car, there was a rear horn that would trigger on one two of them.

Might have to fiddle around and see if its definitely connected that speaker. All I know is there is a massive difference between that mirror and the passenger side. I can at least make out I have a car behind me in that one lol. Thinking I might just replace the speakers with some Pioneer ones or something. The system seems to distort very easily compared with my 2004.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts