Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This morning I tried to start the car and it started as usual. As soon as I moved it to Reverse it stalled. When I tried to crank it again it was hard to start. It almost took about 6-10 seconds of cranking to idle (felt like fast cranking, almost intermittent starting at the same time, like you quickly turn the switch to start, turn it off, turn it to crank again, and repeat). When it started again, the exhaust smelled very rich. No engine light or anything but the engine was idling somewhat rough.

It has done this same thing problem 2-3 times in the last 2 years or so, it stalls in the driveway and then it's hard to start, and during the starting process, if you turn the keys to the OFF position, it continues to crank for a few more seconds. Do you have any ideas what I should be looking at? Do I have a bad relay or bad starter solenoid? Maybe corrosion build up at the starter terminals (it did rain all day yesterday and the car was not driven yesterday). The battery was replaced about a year ago. The car drives great has had NO problems and all service records are up to date. It has 140k miles and the only time it's been at the dealership is when we bought it, would like to keep that the same till I drive it to the ground. Oh, the car is an automatic and the S model (NO power options). [wrenchin]

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Difficult restart after a stall when first started isn't unusual, and your comment on it smelling rich points to the cause.

A first start is extra rich to fire up a cold engine, when repeated right away sensors still see dead cold even though it isn't quite in that condition anymore. Makes for rough/delayed restart, and in the worst case you might need to wait & try again or use foot to the floor when cranking to clear the "flooded" condition. (AFAIK the E-throttle will cooperate the same as std. to accomplish this)

Hard to guess on the continue to crank in this situation, since you said it only happens then I'd suggest it might "diesel" a bit on the rich mixture instead of actually cranking by the starter.

I wouldn't worry about switches/relays for the starter unless this happens in other circumstances.

FWIW - I've yet to see an engine that gives a nice normal start immediately after a stall. Once or twice a year isn't much cause for concern, at 140,000 I assume that things like spark plug replacement have been done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply Sailor. Yes, spark where replaced at the recommended interval, I believe it was at 100k miles but I could be wrong. After the rough idling and rich smell we switched to our car. If this happens again I know now to use the foot to the floor method to clear the flooded condition.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That can work if it won't restart within a reasonable amount of cranking, mine isn't happy either if I manage to stall it but once it gets going again all is well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts