Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help. I have an 09 SEL Focus and somewhere in the 08/09 era (I think) they started using thermal expansion valves instead of the orifice tube for the AC control. I know a lot of you are thinking "the clutch is supposed to click on and off" which i understand is true in an orifice tube system. However, I know that with a thermal expansion valve (TXV) the clutch would just be on all the time, and the valve should maintain a reasonable pressure/temp in the evap, so it will A) not freeze up the core and B) not get the pressure so low that it kicks the clutch off. so I put a set of gauges on it, and sure enough the clutch kicks in, the pressure drops to 20 psi, clutch kicks off, pressure rises till the switch closes, and this cycle repeats.... up to 10+ times a minute!! the low side lines you can tell are about to just ice over because the pressure is so low. So this being a fairly simple system, I figure it must be the TXV not controlling the flow correctly, so I replaced it. Evacuated the system and charged it, so I know there isn't a low freon charge. same symptoms. I noticed on the old valve that there is an adjustment screw, I'm assuming that it will change the amount of freon passing through the valve, and possibly cure my issue. Has anyone had any issues like this? is adjusting that screw a good idea or a terrible idea? for now the AC still makes cold air, but the drive-ability stinks with the clutch kicking on and off so much, and I know it can't be good for the clutch kicking on and off hundreds and hundreds of times just going to work and back. any help would be great. thanks. Ian.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts