Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have probably gone thru 2 or 3 sets of front sway bar bushings.link ends in my 2008 focus. Last spring, I had to get the front strut bearing replaced. This 'came apart' a couple months later, and was redone, along with another sway bar link, in Sep. Now the grinding/clicking noise is back , when the wheel is turned in parking type maneuvers. Things are pretty quiet when underway, going over bumps and turns.

Any idea what the new problem could way? Is there any long term solution to all these suspension noise issues?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

·
Registered
459 Posts
Generally, for parts to keep breaking, there has to be a fundamental misalignment putting stress on the parts in a way they were not designed. Generally.

Strut bearings never failed on any of the cars I've owned (i.e. not Foci). Having said that, however, from what I have read strut bearing failures are not uncommon on the Foci and it seems the "factory" skinny sb links are prone to failure, as well. For your end link replacements, were factory used, or did you get the beefy aftermarket types?

Grinding clicking when you're turning, same side as other issues? That might be a bad cv axle?

However, more details are needed - what side of the car are the links failing on, have they failed over big bumps/bad pot holes? Has the car ever been in an accident ("fundamental misalignment")? How many miles are on the car? Etc....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that aftermarket link ends were used. There is 90,000 kms on the vehicle now. It just sees like I get it working great again, and say, 2 months later, another link end is shot. I am almost to the point where I should either trade it in, or spring for new struts/strut bearings and upgraded link ends.

FWW, the link ends fail on both sides.

·
Registered
459 Posts
90k KMs doesn't seem like a lot (that's what, about 50k Miles?), are the roads horrible in your area? My only trip to Canada was Vancouver, and the roads were like glass, so that does make me wonder.

If you do your own work, those are relatively cheap fixes. Heck, even if you pay someone, it's probably still cheaper than car payments.

If you're going to spring for new struts/bearings (and definitely do the beefy end links - my boy's car broke a new "factory replacement" a week after he installed it - big gnarly's have held up well, including several autocrosses on them), spring for new springs too! Vogtlands! (me - near stock ride quality, good drop; my son has them on his car now) Eibachs (boo-hiss - FelixTheCat always recommends... but they're not market leaders for nothing...).

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts