Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Tonight when opening the driver's side door on my 2008 Focus the door handle broke, when I pulled it something inside the door sounded like it dropped to the bottom.

Now I am unable to get inside my car unless I go to the passenger's side and open the door from the inside or leave the window open. [gunfire]

Can someone please help me, I would rather do a fix myself since I have a feeling a stealership will cost upwards $300 for a simple piece I can probably buy off ebay or online.

Tips please, I could only find OLD 2004 ford focus youtube... Mine is the newer 2008-2011 [mecry]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have found it. I would appreciate if someone had some guidance on how to replace it and if this is the correct part [ohcrap]

Code: 26684
Door Handle Reinforcement
Less SVT Package ; LH, May Be Available Via Vintage Parts (877-846-8243), vpartsinc.com Or [email protected] (Right)

Seems like it will cost me $52... can anyone confirm this is the right part?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Maybe you should remove the door panel and have a look inside first.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi guys

Tonight when opening the driver's side door on my 2008 Focus the door handle broke, when I pulled it something inside the door sounded like it dropped to the bottom.

Now I am unable to get inside my car unless I go to the passenger's side and open the door from the inside or leave the window open. [gunfire]

Can someone please help me, I would rather do a fix myself since I have a feeling a stealership will cost upwards $300 for a simple piece I can probably buy off ebay or online.

Tips please, I could only find OLD 2004 ford focus youtube... Mine is the newer 2008-2011 [mecry]
You beat me to providing the link to the order guide on http://www.FordParts.com, but I hope you are able to get your door handle functioning again! BTW, your icon cracked my team up. [:D]

~Natasha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem.

I may have found it. I would appreciate if someone had some guidance on how to replace it and if this is the correct part [ohcrap]

Code: 26684
Door Handle Reinforcement
Less SVT Package ; LH, May Be Available Via Vintage Parts (877-846-8243), vpartsinc.com Or [email protected] (Right)

Seems like it will cost me $52... can anyone confirm this is the right part?
I was curious if this piece fixed your problem. As well did you order it from the website or found somewhere else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah.

Looks like thats it. I found the piece of metal that broke off once i took of the door panel. Sucks that I have to buy the whole piece for $50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it is late responding to this, but can you please tell me how you got to the handle from the inside? My husband said that the window is in the way. Do you have to remove it in order to get to the handle? Or is there some secret way that only Ford knows about so they can charge $400?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having the same issue. It looks like the door handle reinforcement comes in 01 - 07 and 08 and up. Some places say that the 2007 part number will work on a 2008. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
All of you are ignoring the fact that the outside breaks when the latch assembly itself at back of door gets tight from lack of lube. Meaning the new part may break very quickly as well. The extra load inside latch makes you have to pull harder at the outside handle to break the tab off faster.

You do NOT remove the window to get to that. Run it up to be above it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Orville - welcome to FF

One thing to learn for your benefit is to look at dates of posts & number of posts by the person posting info..

Your question was addressed to someone who made 2 posts three years ago, good chance they won't happen to see it.

Old info can be quite useful in general, prices & part numbers aren't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it is late responding to this, but can you please tell me how you got to the handle from the inside? My husband said that the window is in the way. Do you have to remove it in order to get to the handle? Or is there some secret way that only Ford knows about so they can charge $400?
Thanks for the help!
Just saw this now, but responding to your question for the sake of helping people Googling this.

You will have to remove the glass in order to get to the door handle. If I remember correctly you have to remove a few screws to remove the plastic door handle.

Hope it helps. I did this a long time ago by myself and took me about 2 hours to do, in total I spent $50 in parts (vs dealer quote of $300 or something) [woot]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts