Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the rear shocks and mounts and now have a very irritating rattle coming from the rear end over rough roads. What could potentially be causing it and how hard of a fix might it be? I checked the torque on the installation points of the shocks and they are all at spec, so I would be shocked (heh heh) if that was the problem.

I'm up there in miles and I know there's bound to be stuff going wrong, I'm trying to prioritize my fixes so I don't axe murder my budget.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis where you can find more suspension information.

IF the noise occurred AFTER the shock installation, the top mounting is a likely suspect area.

Don't know what upper mounting you used, but in general getting the shock rods centered in the holes with bushing filling the gap to the body is the first important step. Tightening down typical replacement bushings is more a matter of eyeballing the "squish" of the bushings than meeting a specified torque. Typical round rubber bushes need to be tightened until the rubber expands past the steel washers at either side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the standard gabriel stock-style mounts. I made sure not to torque them down too tight, I know there needs to be a little bit of travel in there for flexing and whatnot. I don't have any suspension mods that aren't a direct replacement for the stock part.

Could it be worn sway bar links? I noticed that those are probably due to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sway bar end links were the problem. $20 and 20 minutes and its rattle free. Mostly. Control arm bushings are my next project after I finish rebuilding the front suspension. At 170k miles, I probably should have done all of this a looooong time ago. Everything I've replaced so far has been straight off the factory floor, (Shocks/struts, tie rod ends, rear sway bar end links)

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts