Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i noticed when my car is cold (starting it up in the morning. chicago) my car has an annoying rattle heard in the inside. it sounds like its coming near the windshield underneth the dash AND/OR it could be coming from the drivers side window behind the side mirror adjustment, maybe a seal..? when my car warms up the rattle/flutter is gone..... anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
Mike

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I think a user by the name of Brad White had a similar issue that he fixed. You might want to search for posts by him or check in the "how-to" section, I know he's got a few you might be interested in in there.

My guesses, windshield wiper vibrating or wiper cowl vibrating/bit loose. I'm not accustomed to the newer ones so it's just a off the wall guess, sorry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had the same problem and would like to know a fix as well. I've figured out that it is the dash to the left of the steering wheel, that surrounds the vent. It is really annoying!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well I also search'd brad's posts and didn't find the specific one I was looking for. Guess it was someone else that posted it. I'll keep digging for that one.
I did however find this one, not an `08 but still something to consider ... ?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173372

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I wish I could be of help, but my 08 does not have this problem. Sorry

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Sometimes air leaks can cause rattle-type noises, but I suspect your rattle is something else.

My '06 had a bad rattle at times in the area of my left knee.....but I couldn't be sure if it was from under the dash, or the door trim. Turned out to be the inner wire of the hood release cable....rattling inside the cable housing.

I fixed it with a length of foam pipe insulation, tie-wrapped around the cable housing, from the firewall to the release handle. Rattles can usually be fixed, but can be tough to find.

·
Registered
117 Posts
on my 08, the dash rattles some. i found out that it was the round piece over the gauge panel. its an annoying rattle. i figure ill try to tighten the bolt, and if it doesnt fix it, take the bolt out and put something soft between the two layers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone else have this same squeak/rattle that i have in my dash? i cant seem to find out whats causing it!

damn, its annoying!

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone else have this same squeak/rattle that i have in my dash? i cant seem to find out whats causing it!

damn, its annoying!
My 2008 has the same rattle. When it's cold, when coming up to a stop, say at a stop light. My car has the auto trans. When popping the trans into neutral, it goes away; put it back into gear, it comes back. Most strange....[scratch]

Steve M.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Found this old thread using the search. I've started having a similar issue on my 2012. Now that the weather has dipped to the low 30's. A couple of times now in the past week or so when I come out in the morning and start driving my car before the interior warms up I get what sounds like a windshield rattle. Once the interior warms up, it goes away. [???:)] Glad I found this thread so I know I'm not the only one that has experienced this problem. Thought maybe I was imagining it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gho...,
Try this, it worked on our 2009; it may for you.
I bet it goes away when it warms up - right?
For us, it was the second winter (2010?) when it started for us.
It would make a rattling noise when cold and driving.
While driving, I was able to put my hand on the lower valance under the steering wheel.
It would stop. I tracked it down to the access hole cover.
It's about three or four inches square and allows you to see/get at the fuses.
I put a small bit of black tape on the wedge making the fit a little tighter.
Works like a charm - no noise.
Good luck with yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts