Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same old story, can’t keep a battery charged. Checked all the fuses for a parasitic drain and found my #5 fuse pulling 2 amps. I can start and drive it just fine but when I let it sit overnight it drains my battery. Anyone have any ideas? I can leave the fuse out but then I have to override the shifter every time and my electric locks no longer work. Some help tracing the wiring to ground would be appreciated or if anyone has had similar experiences. Thanks.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
the brake shift interlock is ONLY active when the key is in the ON/RUN position and should be dead when in the key is in the off position.. that's the point of it.. it only energizes the release solenoid when needed..

i dont have any manuals that cover 08 and up so i cannot run any type of check i only have 00-04 and 05-07

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s drawing while the key is removed and brake not depressed. Basically the shift interlock solenoid is always getting power so I’m guessing the relay is always closed (energized). I would like to replace the relay if possible.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
again i wish i could look further i'm not sure of the 05-07 uses the same feeds, i know 09 is a different interior.. =/

yeah i need to find the paperwork for the 08 year focus looking at the 05-07 #5 is under the hood and its for the ABS. and no relays are used for the solenoid but i will keep looking into this to try and get you some answers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got home today and it dawned on me that if the shift interlock was always hot I would be able to shift out of park without putting my foot on the brake. So I tried it and was not able to shift it out of park without hitting the brake so even though my drain is coming from the #5 fuse it’s not the shift interlock. I noticed when I pulled that fuse I lost lights, instrument cluster, brake lights so it’s something else connected to that circuit.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
is it a hatch or a sedan... i know the earlier model focus's have issues with the rear harness's breaking/fraying that goes between the hatch itself and the body (within the rubber boot) only issue is ford usually has the brake lights and everything disabled when the key is in the off position

im still trying to find a copy of the 2008 service manual so i can actually see how everything is wired...

may i ask if there is anything aftermarket like an alarm, amp, radio, gps etc etc? im also curious to know how much amps that drain is it will give me an idea on its severity.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
...Some help tracing the wiring to ground would be appreciated...
As said above, you need the 2008 wiring diagrams book in order to see the ancillary circuits of fuse#5. With that 2008 info, you could move forward to ID which exact circuit/component is causing the drain: via disconnecting stuff OR via amp meter testing.

is it a hatch or a sedan... i know the earlier model focus's have issues with the rear harness's breaking/fraying that goes between the hatch itself and the body (within the rubber boot) only issue is ford usually has the brake lights and everything disabled when the key is in the off position...
That's a good idea... but there is one wire (in that area) that is always Hot while the key is at the Off position. The always-hot wire is for the hatch/truck release solenoid; -but not sure about this "always hot" wire in a 2008. Like you said, we/OP needs a 2008 set of diagrams.

Not enough info in the OP comments (so far) to make me suspect that particular always-hot wire is suspect damaged, but I wanted to comment there is one possibility at the rear trunk location.

Furthermore, the 2-amp parasitic draw does not suggest that the always-hot wire is (broken) "open" and it is also not a dead-short to ground. But that latch solenoid might be suspect, just like every other component in the 2008 fuse#5 circuit.

Crap-shoot at the moment. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2009 focus 4 door, fuse #5 has 200 milliamp draw and when I pull it all the lights go out. I checked all the harness and rear trunk latch and that's not it, did you ever find yours ? I need to find the relays on that because their is no way a 10 amp fuse runs all the headlights and every other light ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone ever figure this out? Have the same issue with a 2011 Focus SES. 250mA draw on fuse #5. Have attached 2 wiring diagrams from the service manual.Thanks in advance!
20200707_131954.jpg 20200707_132352.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,467 Posts
Locate the floor shifter module and disconnect C3245. That might pin down the location of the parasitic drain.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,467 Posts
Well, that eliminates the floor shifter module. Have you tried removing the bulbs shown in the diagram to see if the drain still exists? The schematic does not show if the power or ground is supplied to the bulbs.
Have you searched the manual thoroughly to make sure something else is not supplied power with fuse #5 too?
It could be that you have a failure within the SJB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts