Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started back in August I picked up a vibration in the front end usually at highway speeds my thought was it was a dropped weight ok I will get around to it on next oil change.
In the leading weeks I started to hear a creaking sound {cheap bed springs}
And grinding sound from the front end I went to the dealer no problem found
It was a no charge and down the road I go.
Finally I found a garage to replace the upper strut bearings good for two weeks progressively the car was beyond driving both upper replaced mount failed.
back to the garage and replaced upper mounts and now the struts they while they only lasted for 3 weeks both new front struts failed both leaked {maybe a bad batch from Ford } now while this was going on I still have the creaking sound while turning and light bumps which I believe is coming from lower arms .
I replaced both front struts again and requested inspection to see if rack, a-arms, sway bar links, sub frame the claim everything is ok as stated now on second set of struts and creaking is still there I have lubed pivots a a-arms it last till it rains a and creaking comes back.
I have replaced sway bar links 3 times and replaced with Moog
I have contacted a Ford rep on these forums but no response yet.
I know there is a TSB for this not sure it a ride quality issue or heads up on failing parts {SAFTY} mileage is 55k pocket book it getting light from all the repairs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ball joints will sometimes squeak when they are on their way out.
my thoughts also the TSB is for replacement of lower A-arms in ford case the ball joints are of the arm package .

But not feeling any swaying and during shake down looseness wasn't found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my Ford Focus. I am not clear on your post. Did the Moogs solve the problems? Or do u still have the creaking sound? I have to bring mine in to the dealer to check.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have exactly the same problem with my Ford Focus. I am not clear on your post. Did the Moogs solve the problems? Or do u still have the creaking sound? I have to bring mine in to the dealer to check.
No the Moogs did not help the creaking sound it is coming from the ball joints and Ford just turned a blind eye to a safety issue so it out of pocket for all of us

·
Registered
4 Posts
No the Moogs did not help the creaking sound it is coming from the ball joints and Ford just turned a blind eye to a safety issue so it out of pocket for all of us
Thanks for your reply. So, the problem was with the ball joints and not any of the sway bar links or A arms anything like that? That is a safety issue and Ford is being a jerk. How much does it cost to repair the ball joints. Can you do just one side instead of both sides at the same time? I have owned so many different types of cars, I can only recall one very old car that had a ball joint problem.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Is that a guess, or do you have proof besides someone's suggestion over an internet diagnosis?

Reading back, it seems that your problem is not the ball joints, which would be safety related, but the LCA bushings which are more of a exposure issue. What are you lubing these with? Spray silicone grease should do the trick, but will be difficult to apply properly. You wrote yourself that the noise went away until the rain washed off the lube. If you've been using WD40, forget it, now nothing will work until that is cleaned off.

Another possibility would be that the shop you had the struts "repaired" at did not assemble the strut correctly. That can cause some interesting noises- like creaky bed springs during turns.

The strut problems you seem to have issues with seem to be related to the shop you chose, yet you've blamed it on Ford for making bad struts. Was it a dealer's shop that you visited? If so, if that dealer did not make the following repair free of charge, then you should fax/scan your repair receipts for both repairs to Ford Customer Service. All dealer repairs have a warranty that lasts more than a few months. If you don't seem to get an answer from FCS, then PM me and I'll look into it. I will also have to see documentation of both repairs.

You mentioned a grinding sound. Is this sound while driving in a straight line? Does it get louder with speed? Does it go away on bumpy roads? Is it only during braking?

Ball joints that would be making a creaking sound aren't on the "way out", but simply need grease. For "lifetime" greased BJs like those on the Focus, a large syringe would be used to penetrate the boot and install some grease. If the ball joint was the problem, that would solve it. Now a real ball joint problem that is a safety concern sounds like this: a single loud thunk just after beginning movement, and just after stopping movement. It is not louder if more force is applied in either direction. That thunk is the ball joint jumping out of, and falling back into the socket. That's serious, and should be repaired immediately regardless. If you don't have yours greased, and the ball joints are the cause of the creaking- then you will soon hear this sound. I suggest replacing the entire control arm which can be done by any DIYer with a little guidance.

Finally, you might have a misunderstanding of a TSB. It doesn't = recall. A TSB is simply an internal mechanic to mechanic note of a perplexing repair. It's there for spreading knowledge. A recall is a well documented, safety related repair paid for by the manufacturer at the request of the NHSTA. Now if you think you might be one of hundreds of thousands, then check the NHSTA website, and file an appropriate complaint.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
One last thing you might consider- I had a similar problem on my car, but I don't recall the mileage. It was related to the brakes. Specifically the anti-squeal coating on the back of the pads. This produced some squeaking sounds during turns, and acceleration in my case. It didn't produce the typical continuous squealing during braking that's more commonly associated with this problem. I had to remove the pads, apply more anti-squeal, and that solved the problem.

I'm not sure if that's the case with your vehicle or not since you said that the creaking went away after lubing the LCA bushings. It's hard to figure exactly what you're hearing through internet diagnosis. It is possible that you're hearing a combination of sounds made by 2 different causes, and that is why no repair seems to have made a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One last thing you might consider- I had a similar problem on my car, but I don't recall the mileage. It was related to the brakes. Specifically the anti-squeal coating on the back of the pads. This produced some squeaking sounds during turns, and acceleration in my case. It didn't produce the typical continuous squealing during braking that's more commonly associated with this problem. I had to remove the pads, apply more anti-squeal, and that solved the problem.

I'm not sure if that's the case with your vehicle or not since you said that the creaking went away after lubing the LCA bushings. It's hard to figure exactly what you're hearing through internet diagnosis. It is possible that you're hearing a combination of sounds made by 2 different causes, and that is why no repair seems to have made a difference.
What does LCA stand for? Is that lower connecting arms? I don't think its the brake pads that we are talking about here. The sound is not a squealing sound. We know what that sounds like when the brakes wear down and start squealing. This is a creaking sound. It creaks continously even when u are not turning at all. From what I can see, it appears to be a fairly common problem. I am saying this by googling the issue on the internet. A fair number of people have the same issue. At this stage, for Ford or any of its dealers to say that it is not aware of what the problem is is an out and out lie as far as I am concerned. This creaking noise was also an issue in the older Focuses, and there was a TSB issued for it than. My only conclusion is the problem was never addressed. if you are truly a Ford representative, you will know this. My reluctance is goign to a Ford dealer and having them give me the same run around as they did the original thread starter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:: it was the drivers side ball/control arm assembly it was replaced at a Ford dealer which all repairs were done and out of pocket and now the car no longer has the squeaking and tracking problem

answer to a few post the struts were Ford as were the strut bearings the initial struts were also out of pocket the second set replacements were cover under parts warranty .

I did request a complete check over while it was at the dealer a passenger side CV/axle support bearing is making noise and passenger side motor mount....what next

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
yvrfocus: All I can tell people on this site is to make a claim on the NHSTAs complaint website by following the link I provided. Yeah, I know you're Canadian, and that's a US gov agency. If you can post a complaint, then you can help out Canadians and Americans if there are enough complaints to force a recall. I'm not a Ford Representative, for that we have a member titled Ford Customer Service.

I'm glad the problem was fixed. Dealers don't just change ball joints alone because those parts are riveted into the LCA (lower control arm). Aftermarket balljoints replace the rivets with bolts, and DIYers must drill out the rivets. It's impossible to know if it was the bushings or the BJs now, but that's ok because it's fixed. I typically recommend that people with high mileage get the LCA replaced anyway since control arms do wear out. Neither of your cars are what I'd consider high mileage though.

Now yvrfocus: If you're experiencing the same problem as the OP and you DIY, then you might want to try getting a mechanic's syringe and needle to penetrate the top of the ball joint boot and put in some grease. That costs less than paying someone to replace the LCA, and will solve the problem if it is the ball joint instead of the LCA bushings. It might take a few days for the grease to work itself around the joint completely since you're adding grease to the top instead of the bottom of the ball.

Kuya (tagalog= brother): The center carrier bearing is a part of the rt (pass) side CV axle. It's sealed, and there's no way to grease it. I wouldn't replace it until the CV axles were bad enough to be replaced or it completely locked up. In that case, it would make some terrible noise, but you'd still be able to drive the car. The carrier for the bearing can be replaced, so not to worry about damaging anything irreplaceable. CV axles go out one of 2 ways, most commonly you'll hear a rhythmic thunking while making turns and accelerating at the same time. Once you hear that, start saving and calling around to find out how much CV axle replacement will cost you. You should have plenty of time, and I'd expect the repair to be about $500-800. The repair is not urgent until you start experiencing the popping sound while accelerating in a straight line, and cannot avoid causing it. I drove a car with a bad CV like that for a year before it became urgent. The second way CVs go bad makes a sound like a bad bearing accompanied by a very difficult to diagnose shaking while driving at high speeds. The shake appears when driving at steady speeds, and disappears when accelerating or coasting downhill. If you think you're experiencing that, wait until you hear noises like horribly bad bearings, then jack up the vehicle, rotate the wheels, and listen for a sound like playing cards running through bicycle spokes. You'll hear that sound or the bearings grumbling at you. Don't use the shaking as primary diagnosis of this problem or you could end up throwing parts at a car until it's fixed.

Passenger side motor mount= On earlier Focis it was a hydraulic mount, but IIRC the Duratec mount is solid rubber. You'll know when you have bad motor mounts because the engine will shake the car noticeably at idle, or you'll hear a single thunk from the engine compartment under hard acceleration. Until then, I wouldn't advise replacing. You've thrown enough money at the car for now. Drive it, get your money's worth out of it, and get rid of it. I'm sorry I didn't get in here sooner to advise you to grease the BJ or find a shop that would, but if it was the bushings then that wouldn't help any. BJs aren't a danger until you hear that thunking sound I described earlier.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
This is a creaking sound. It creaks continously even when u are not turning at all. From what I can see, it appears to be a fairly common problem. I am saying this by googling the issue on the internet. A fair number of people have the same issue. At this stage, for Ford or any of its dealers to say that it is not aware of what the problem is is an out and out lie as far as I am concerned. This creaking noise was also an issue in the older Focuses, and there was a TSB issued for it than.
Hi yvrfocus,

While an online search for a particular concern may turn up results, I assure you, it is not an indication of a large-scale issue. As whynotthinkwhynot explained, TSBs are simply a detailed repair process for technicians, so they may not apply to all vehicles.

I definitely agree on having your Focus inspected at the dealer. If that does not resolve your concern, please contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673.

update:: it was the drivers side ball/control arm assembly it was replaced at a Ford dealer which all repairs were done and out of pocket and now the car no longer has the squeaking and tracking problem
I'm glad they were able to diagnose the creaking and repaired your Focus.

~Natasha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi yvrfocus,

While an online search for a particular concern may turn up results, I assure you, it is not an indication of a large-scale issue. As whynotthinkwhynot explained, TSBs are simply a detailed repair process for technicians, so they may not apply to all vehicles.

I definitely agree on having your Focus inspected at the dealer. If that does not resolve your concern, please contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673.

I'm glad they were able to diagnose the creaking and repaired your Focus.

~Natasha
since car has only 55k on it and adult driven i find it was premature for it to fail since it was a safety issue and a TSB was issued do you think Ford might have a concern with other vehicles?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
since car has only 55k on it and adult driven i find it was premature for it to fail since it was a safety issue and a TSB was issued do you think Ford might have a concern with other vehicles?
TSBs aren't for safety issues, they are just a how-to on repairs. Large-scale concerns are thoroughly researched by our engineers, so there is no need to worry about it being a frequent problem.

Have a good evening!

~Natasha

·
Registered
4 Posts

answer to a few post the struts were Ford as were the strut bearings the initial struts were also out of pocket the second set replacements were cover under parts warranty .

I did request a complete check over while it was at the dealer a passenger side CV/axle support bearing is making noise and passenger side motor mount....what next
Hi Kuya,

Can I ask u how much you paid to replace the drivers side ball/arm assembly. I have a feeling my Ford dealer is ripping me off. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Moog LCAs are roughly $100, if you can DIY and I believe are lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bed spring sounds

Have a 2007 that developed same sound. Finally traced it down to the emergency brake cable going to the passenger rear. Cable goes through a support clip in front of the tire and rubbed some of its coating off. The sound seemed to come from the front of the car but was actually from the rear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have a 2007 that developed same sound. Finally traced it down to the emergency brake cable going to the passenger rear. Cable goes through a support clip in front of the tire and rubbed some of its coating off. The sound seemed to come from the front of the car but was actually from the rear.
i had the same issue on my 2008 several months ago a freebie from the dealer ..lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts