Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Focus SE Sedan that was purchased early January 2008. I am experiencing intermittent "transmission" problems. Problem has occurred at least a dozen times since January. From a cold or hot start, when I shift into "Drive" my Transmission will suddenly JERK from low gear to a higher gear. Had my car in for servicing on 3 occasions and the Dealer said they can not find anything wrong with my car and they tell me "that's the way it is on these new 2008 Focus vehicles and nothing can be done for you". Is this correct that nothing can be done to correct my problem?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did they replace any parts during any of these visits?? If they did, they have admitted that there was a problem and you seem to have a lemon. I dont know how the lemon law works in texas but in my state the dealer would need to buy the car back from you. I would check on that. That is not how they are. Or take it to another dealer and see if they are willing to work on it. They may not because the first dealer may have messed it up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My dealer told me the exact same thing. My '08 SES was shifting in and out of OD at around 42 mph-acted like a really bad miss. The dealer had it for 3 days and even called in a Field Engineer. He said that, as it stands right now, there's nothing they can do BUT,
he told the Service Writer to tell everyone who has this problem to contact Ford Customer Service and bitch about it. He also said that he has been running into a few Focuses with this problem and, if enough of us bitch, maybe an SPR or recall will be implemented. I guess it's worth a try!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The next time this happens, talk to your service manager about TSB 08-5-8.

2008 Focus

ISSUE
Some 2008 Focus vehicles equipped with 4F27E automatic transaxle and built on or before 1/29/2008 may experience no 3rd or 4th gear. Possible diagnostic troubles codes (DTCs) P0733 and/or P0734. The cause may be a direct clutch snap ring out of position caused by the reverse clutch wave spring.

I’m not sure if this is your problem but your car was built at the right time for this to apply.

I had a similar problem at around 7,000 miles and then again at 8,000 miles. Since my transmission was not affected by the TSB they called the Ford hotline and replaced the Main Control Valve Body. I’m at around 11,000 miles now and I haven’t had the issue return (yet).

The first time It happened it jumped in and out of first and second when it should have been in 3rd or 4th. That time I turned off the car and the problem cleared. The next morning it wouldn’t go into reverse. The lever moved but no gear, just like being neutral. They couldn’t find anything wrong that time. The last time it happened I decided to drive around for a few minutes so it could store a code and set the CEL. It set a P0733 code which is improper gear ratio for 3rd gear. I also drove it (slowly) to the dealer without 3rd or 4th gear with the CEL lit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I took my car in for TSB 08-5-8 several weeks ago and all the Assistant Service Manager did was to "reprogram" my car's computer system. He said he did this under TSB 08-9-3, because I was also experiencing "delayed upshift to 3-4 gear" and because of my slowed down trouble going uphill. They did nothing to replace "direct clutch snap ring" even though I had experienced problems two more times with problems of "delayed upshift" to 3-4 gears. I told this Dealer that there was a computer device that you can install on my car like a "joystick" where I can hit the button if I experience problems again. They had them, but did not have one available and did not know when one would become available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I told this Dealer that there was a computer device that you can install on my car like a "joystick" where I can hit the button if I experience problems again. They had them, but did not have one available and did not know when one would become available.
I drove around with one of these in my 06 Freestyle for a day. The one I had would only make 3 recordings. It turned out that they didn't need it because the Ford hotline finally told them what the problem was the next day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Focus trans

My car is currently at the dealer. They now have had the trarnny in and out twice, replacing various solenoids and what not and have still not fixed the problem. It was such a small -problem that it would shift into third it would sometimes not engage the gear, the engine would rev and if you took your foot off of the gas and put it back it would go into gear. Well we are going on day six now and they still havent fixed it, why wouldn't they put a new tranny in it? The labor that they have spent[smackbum] on this car now would have paid for a new tranny!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts

I am in Keller Texas and Have had similar issues with my 2007. I am curious what dealer you are taking it too. pm me I have lemon info

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trouble. The following happened a few years ago and made the papers. Apparently an elderly gentleman had bought a brand new Chevy Impala that wound up having one thing go wrong after another. He had taken it into the dealer where he bought it multiple times with no luck in having the issue (a tranny problem) resolved. Finally he made up a big sign that he fit on the roof of his car and then would go and park it in front of the dealership from 8am-5pm. The sign read: THIS CAR IS A LEMON! DO NOT BUY ANY CARS FROM (BRAND X) CHEVROLET. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR WORK, THEY ARE NOT HELPFUL, THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY, AND THEY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF AN OLD MAN. He did this for about a week until he wound up with a brand new car from Chevy and a written apology from the dealership.

The pen is mightier than the sword!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2008 Focus SE Sedan that was purchased early January 2008. I am experiencing intermittent "transmission" problems. Problem has occurred at least a dozen times since January. From a cold or hot start, when I shift into "Drive" my Transmission will suddenly JERK from low gear to a higher gear. Had my car in for servicing on 3 occasions and the Dealer said they can not find anything wrong with my car and they tell me "that's the way it is on these new 2008 Focus vehicles and nothing can be done for you". Is this correct that nothing can be done to correct my problem?
I have exactly that same problem with my 2008 Focus SES. The car is at the dealership now for 3 days, they had a field engineer come in and left a message on my mailbox that they ordered "a part" (whatever that means). I'll keep you updated. I'm looking forward to discuss with them who is going to reimburse me the expenses for the rental car. I guess this will end up at the small claims court.... I should have taken the advice of my neighbor and spent the additional $$$ for a Honda Civic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Erm, Hondas haven't exactly been immune from transmission problems in the last 5 years. My parents Acura TL almost killed them on the freeway because the transmission (at ~60,000 miles) started downshifting into first gear at ~75mph.

Most dealers will provide you with rentals for a major repair, so I would be surprised if they didn't work with you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2008 Ses Valve Body Replaced

I have exactly that same problem with my 2008 Focus SES. The car is at the dealership now for 3 days, they had a field engineer come in and left a message on my mailbox that they ordered "a part" (whatever that means). I'll keep you updated. I'm looking forward to discuss with them who is going to reimburse me the expenses for the rental car. I guess this will end up at the small claims court.... I should have taken the advice of my neighbor and spent the additional $$$ for a Honda Civic.
So I got my five months old car back after 4 days at the dealership. They have replaced the "VALVE BODY". Dealer refused to reimburse the $96 for my rental car. Only after I said I am going to sue him at the "small claims court" he reimbursed me the $96.

·
Registered
32 Posts
was the wrench light on??

i bought my 08 coupe s in jan. by end of feb begining of march, the wrench light would turn on in my gauge dash. Once that had happened it seemed like my acceleration pedle had gotten cut off. When i would put my foot on the gas, there was no juice at all. i would have to put it in park and floor it to see if there was any rpms, not one. then i had to turn off the engine, then cut it back on. eventually the light would turn off, and my car was back to normal.

now, i took my focus to the dealer 4 different times till the got it done right.

they replaced the acceleration paddle the first time i came in....
the next 3 tries i had a prob with them letting me rent a car or get a courtsey car (because i am only 19) but i threaten that i was going to call them out on the lemon law. and they had no problem with lending me a car till they got mine fixed.

On the 4th try,
It took a ford engineer to plug his laptop to the whatever, and notice it was an half ass job someone did with the electric wire THAT HAPPENS TO CONTROL MY THROTTLE!!!! (the 08 has an electric throttle, obviously) It wasnt plugged in all the way.
they replaced that, and i havent had any problem since.

but i was pissed....i wanted a new focus the second time i had to bring it in. lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
i am now having the same trans issue with my 08 as everyone else... mine is out of warranty ,,, and ideas? mine , also losses reverse every once in a while. but after playing with the shifter for 20min, i get reverse back.. and at around 40mph or i get bucking, give it the gas and it clears up .. help and ideas??????

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 ford focus transmission replacement

we just had to pay to replace our son's transmission - by the time he could get the car to the dealer it was 300 miles over the warranty! Ford is refusing to do anything. the transmission was noisy, slippin, drop pan had excessive metal debris, the pump heavily scored, clitches burnt and main regulator valve was siezed. Ya....that happened in the 300 miles over 60,000. I am so dissatisfied. I called customer service and could not get past a 2nd level. They were not personable nor helpful and I am going to slam Ford at every opportunity I get....I guess ford does suck as I was previously told............[?|]

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am now having the same trans issue with my 08 as everyone else... mine is out of warranty ,,, and ideas? mine , also losses reverse every once in a while. but after playing with the shifter for 20min, i get reverse back.. and at around 40mph or i get bucking, give it the gas and it clears up .. help and ideas??????
Mines in the shop a trans fix on an 08 build in 07 right now luckily I wasn't over the warranty " if they cover it" has this happened to a lot of people why hasn't there been a recall on this trans?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts