Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to try out the Steeda Short Throw Shifter, and i must say, it is not a bad product. The gears are tighter, and closer together.. But not Extremely tight. It took me all of 20 minutes to install too! Here are some pictures of before and after...

Before

After

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
No pictures. Make sure you are using a photo sharing site to store you photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah its a great product and definitely makes the car a lot more fun with the short shift. You were right about the install time, it did not take much more than 20 minutes to install.

I could not be happier with the product or the results.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I wish someone made an STS that actually shortened the throws without making the thing sit on the console. The shifter should be close to the wheel, not on the floor.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but what is that, a 2in drop?...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Haha thanks. I wasn't sure if my eyes were working properly. Working in a dimly lit warehouse will make you second guess everything you think you see. I'm planning on getting all three poly mounts eventually but probably starting with the dogbone. My shifter should be at my door on Saturday. I wonder if it comes with instructions :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
After I install my FRPP kit, this will be next. Report back on how the install goes, what tools you used, etc, if you can!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
After I install my FRPP kit, this will be next. Report back on how the install goes, what tools you used, etc, if you can!

Literally, a screwdriver. Easiest installation ever for not knowing what I was doing beforehand. I took the whole center console trim out to give myself more room to work, it's held on with clips. After that I just popped the cable off, unscrewed and removed the cable holder, unscrewed and removed the cover, lifted the shaft out, took the ball clip off, lubed it and the new shaft up real good, clipped it on the new one, put the new shaft in, put the cover back on, slid and screwed the cable mount back on, snapped the cable back on, done. Oh and cut the plastic piece on the inside of the boot so it fits the new shifter. Simple as pie! I should have taken pictures..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Literally, a screwdriver. Easiest installation ever for not knowing what I was doing beforehand. I took the whole center console trim out to give myself more room to work, it's held on with clips. After that I just popped the cable off, unscrewed and removed the cable holder, unscrewed and removed the cover, lifted the shaft out, took the ball clip off, lubed it and the new shaft up real good, clipped it on the new one, put the new shaft in, put the cover back on, slid and screwed the cable mount back on, snapped the cable back on, done. Oh and cut the plastic piece on the inside of the boot so it fits the new shifter. Simple as pie! I should have taken pictures..
Thanks! It comes with instructions then I assume?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking of getting an other STS lately. I had a CFM one a few years ago, but it got sloppy over time. I found out that where the shifter connected to the linkage, the shifter was worn down. Is there supposed to be something plastic between the shifter and the linkage? The OEM shifter has plastic on it, but I didn't really think about it when I was doing the install. CFM offered to replace it under warranty by the way. They were super nice, but I declined as I felt bad about it possibly being my fault.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had that thought too. I think though that they made it the same size with the plastic and all but just with all metal. Which really would make it sturdier, IMO... There's no way the shifter would fit in the slot if you put plastic over it..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't think it would fit with a plastic bit on it either. CFM was very confused on why it wore down though. They mentioned that with it being a plastic on metal deal, it shouldn't have. That's what made me think that I installed it wrong. Like I said, I'd really like to get an other one, but the first one lasted a year and a half.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
What exactly do you mean it wore down though..?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, the little bar that sticks out to the side of the bottom part of the shaft has a little ball-like part at the end. This part is metal on the CFM and plastic covered on the OEM shifter. On my CFM, it was worn down over time (presumably by the metal of the linkage) to the point that the ball was nearly gone, and the shifter was very sloppy with a lot of play in it. It was bad enough that I reinstalled the OEM shifter. If I still had the CFM one, I'd snap a photo. Unfortunately I tossed it a year ago.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts