Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

looking for some help, i recent discovered on my wife's 2008 Focus SES that when the AC is turned on, the car totally falls on its face when trying to accelerate from a stop.

Unlike some of the other posts that i've seen while searching, the AC is working fine. Good cold output.

The issue occurs if engine temp is cold or full temp. although the stalling seems more noticeable on extremely hot days, >90F. If you press the power button to shut the AC off while mid-stall, it literally stops stalling immediately and takes off and appears to run normally. This was my wife's work-around and so she didn't tell me this entire summer this was happening ... "just didn't mind being hot, i'm a cold person" ... seriously. I don't frequently drive her car, needless to say.

Anyways, the idle doesnt appear to be significantly affected while sitting prior to acceleration. So if you don't shut the AC off, as soon as you press the gas pedal, major stall, idle does drop but the car hasnt died during my testing or with her driving. during the stall car has significant power loss, extremely poor acceleration, BUT then will suddenly snap, accelerate quite brisk and take off.

If you shut the AC off prior to accelerating, pretty normal.

The car is basically stock except a KN FIPK intake. I changed the plugs with OEM style replacements sometime last year. I've never cleaned the MAF.

No obvious vacuum leaks but I couldnt swear there is not one. there is no other condition i can replicate to help pin it down. I am more inclined to believe it's a reflection of the AC's load rather than the AC compressor itself, since the AC seems to work pretty good doing something like going down the highway.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Someone on here was just having that same issue, and im pretty sure they have the same intake. It definitely sounds like your experiencing "heat soak." These intakes (short ram) breath in all that stagnant, hot air from your engine when the car is at a stop. My Steeda SRi will do this too on 95°+ days, but quickly goes back to normal once im driving.

I recommend you try going back to the factory unit, Steeda SRi, or even a true cold air intake from FsWerks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts