Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a fairly new '08 Focus owner. I'll use this to post my experiences with this wonderful car. I'll edit this and add details in a bit later... Here's a photo from the day I picked her up at the dealership on 5/15/08 at 5:04 PM:

Window Sticker (.pdf)

Current Fuel Economy:

Current Mods:

• How I drive... using many hypermiling techniques. Yes... they work!
  • Increased Tire Pressure to 40 PSI on all four tires. Note: chalked the tires and am getting perfect wear. Of course, I realize this reduces traction so back down to 35-36 PSI this coming winter.
  • Oil and Oil Filter - 8/29/08 / 7,800 Miles - Switched over to Mobile 1 (0W-20) Synthetic Oil and Mobile-1 (M1-102) Oil filter.
  • K&N 33-2401 Drop-In Air Filter - can't afford the Steeda SRI just yet...

Check it out! Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy - meets or exceeds Ford WSS-M2C930-A specifications!

Focus Fanatics - Posts worth reading:

Other Links:
Hypermiling Links:
9/5/08 - I had to stop to get gas. Well, I did drive 495.7 miles on this tank... but it would have been close me getting home. So, I filled up (10.854 gallons). This time however, instead of 87 octane, I went for 89 octane to see if that makes any difference. We'll see. By the way... do the math. That comes out to 45.6697 MPG!

9/17/08 - Well, my little experiment with 89 octane didn't work so well. My MPG actually went down. So, today I reset the Average MPG (first time ever) and back to 87 octane. The 47.3 MPG is my actual combined mileage for my 120 mile daily commute. We'll see if it goes up throughout this tank of gas. It does appear the K&N drop-in filter is helping by about 1 to 2 MPG. More testing needed. But the above MPG is real and I'll stick to the cheaper gasoline.

10/13/08 - It's been a while since I've given an update. I've found driving to get the best MPG isn't necessarily that great for the car. One week I noticed my MPG started going down. I wasn't sure what was going on. Figured it might have just been a fluke (I'd been driving a bit faster but not much). Anyway, long story short... since I rarely got the engine over 2,500 RPM soot had built up robbing the engine of precious MPGs. How did I find this out? I got stuck behind a big tractor and had to pass. I floored it. Wow! Huge cloud of black smoke came pouring out the back. Anyway, after that... my MPG went back up and actually now I'm even getting better MPG than before. So, every few thousand miles... open it up and blow out the soot! To-date... best short duration MPG from home to work (60 miles - not all highway) was 48.8 MPG! Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me. Took a photo with my cell phone... maybe it'll show up.

Notes:
6mm nut/washer for the battery connection? Is that correct?

More later... [driving]

·
Registered
427 Posts
you gotta put some azenis on that car with 36-38 PSI in your tires, it will be great you'll see!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you gotta put some azenis on that car with 36-38 PSI in your tires, it will be great you'll see!
Those look more like perfomance tires than "economy" tires. Am I missing something? I need the least resistance in a tire I can get while still managing to keep it on the road. Since I drive 120 miles a day... that means 30k+ miles per year. The factory tires will get swapped out probably next spring. If those azenis are good for MPG... which model? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I love me some 08 vista blue!

One day you'll catch the mod bug, so watch out.
Yes, the Vista Blue helps it get better MPG! [:D]

I've been searching and searching (and searching) and I'm having trouble finding info SPECIFIC to mods for the '08. This is my MPG Machine. I drove all over trying to find a K&N drop-in filter today... but no luck. I'd have to order it online. It's expensive compared to a "bolt-on" cone style. However, I don't see it's even possible without cutting up the stock air box due to the MAF sensor. So... my options are a $45 drop-in (and get rid of the resonator - they create turbulance) or $200+ for a CAI.

Has anyone figured out a way to use the bolt-on style K&N on an '08?

I've already got the mod bug... but instead of improving my 1/4 mile times (been there... done that on both an '89 5.0L Mustang LX Coupe (Code 41X) and a '95 Impala SS) I'm going for the highest MPG I can possibly get.

For all I know... I already have the highest MPG '08 Focus in the world. No one else has mentioned they're getting better than what I am right now (44.4 MPG). Yes, my goal is 45 MPG (within reach). When (not if) I get that... then what?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
you can maybe lower the car, to make minimal wind resistance under the car.

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
21 Posts
For all I know... I already have the highest MPG '08 Focus in the world. No one else has mentioned they're getting better than what I am right now (43.8 MPG). Yes, my goal is 45 MPG (within reach). When (not if) I get that... then what?
Just picked up my 09 last week. Got 29.5 MPG on my first tank. Unfortunately I have to deal with a lot of stop & go during my commute which kills my mpg and led me to get an automatic. I probably drive 65-70% city miles.

What hypermiling techniques do you employ? The pulse and glide, and generally just driving slower is all I've been brave enough to do. My brother is way into hypermiling in his Accord, he has a scanguage and everything.

The main reason I got this car was for the MPG... so your values are encouraging.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Those look more like perfomance tires than "economy" tires. Am I missing something? I need the least resistance in a tire I can get while still managing to keep it on the road. Since I drive 120 miles a day... that means 30k+ miles per year. The factory tires will get swapped out probably next spring. If those azenis are good for MPG... which model? Thanks.
true they're most likely track tires. but I did 12 track days yet in the summer and I use the azenis in the street too, and I haven't reached the indicators yet. My friend bought 14" azenis and never when to track with them and did 2-3 summers (about 12-15k kilometers with them), and they do make the car a lot more fun even when you don't drive aggressively![driving]

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
here is the thread about 2008+ performance and whatnot, enjoy your car!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169812

btw all my friends who have azeni's will tell you straight up that tread life is almost non-existent haha, you will want a hard compound for mpg and life...personally a bunch of us like General Exclaim UHP tires although the sidewall may be a little soft in a 16, we're all running 18" low-pros...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about weight? Did you remove anything ?
No, I haven't removed anything from the car. I know some extreme hypermilers remove the entire interior (except for the drivers seat). Spare tire and all is still in mine. Actually, I seem to get better mileage with a full tank of gas than I do near empty. Strange...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually, I seem to get better mileage with a full tank of gas than I do near empty. Strange...
That is funny, I have experienced the same thing in my 08. Must have somethin gto do with fuel pressure or something.

nice looking 08 BTW. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
A drop and light weight rims will help as well.

Any bolt on air intake for 05+ will work for you (I do believe) since they have the same engine. I do not know the facts and physics, but I have heard an open element filter will help. Any building your own would be extremely easy with a duratec, its just a 80 or 90* bend and straight down.

You could also run a velocity stack into a stock or after market intake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A drop and light weight rims I'm sure would help... but that's $$$ and it would take a huge increase in MPG to offset that cost.

Regarding the airbox... nope. Starting with the '08, it's changed.

See this thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169812

You can't simply bolt a pipe on with a filter on the end. The airbox is molded with the MAF sensor as part of the tube... and it tapers to the edge of the box so there is no way to connect anything to it. No "Stealth" mod possible on an '08.

Currently, the only available options are the K&N drop-in filter, K&N typhoon, and the Steeda Short Ram Intake. Nothing else. I'm leaning towards the Steeda... but will probably go for the K&N drop-in for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my 08 Focus late last month and fell in love with it...never really was much of a car guy untill a friend said that the my focus had potential...Ever since ive been looking around for mods and learning alot about it...Well since ive been looking ive kinda of come to the conclusion, and please say that im wrong, that since its an 08 there isn't really anything i can do with it other than rims, lowering it, and getting a better air intake. Is there anything else that i can do? and if so does that mean i have to wait?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got my 08 Focus late last month and fell in love with it...never really was much of a car guy untill a friend said that the my focus had potential...Ever since ive been looking around for mods and learning alot about it...Well since ive been looking ive kinda of come to the conclusion, and please say that im wrong, that since its an 08 there isn't really anything i can do with it other than rims, lowering it, and getting a better air intake. Is there anything else that i can do? and if so does that mean i have to wait?
There's plenty you can do. Are you going for MPG or 1/4 mile times? If MPG... what are you getting now? Let's go from there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's plenty you can do. Are you going for MPG or 1/4 mile times? If MPG... what are you getting now? Let's go from there...
I'd like to go for MPG because im not a power needer but any additional power from the MPG mods is welcomed lol [ffrocks] oh and im getting around 25 city and about 35 on the highway

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
can i use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy in winter?
i am going to have my oil change sunday...
plus CAI is it better for MPG or the K&N Drop in?
please let me know, i do want to get more MPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can i use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy in winter? i am going to have my oil change sunday... plus CAI is it better for MPG or the K&N Drop in? please let me know, i do want to get more MPG
I was hoping someone would have replied to this regarding the 0W-20 as I'd like to know too. I love the K&N Drop In. It did improve my MPG.

Also... long overdue update to my first post in this thread. Soot is not your friend. Every couple thousand miles... open her up and blow out the soot! My MPG had started dropping fast (got all the way down to 41 MPG). Now I'm back up to between 46 and 48 very consistantly (depending on if I'm running late for work or not). I still hope to hit 50 MPG some day but that will probably have to be all highway in the Spring with a couple more PSI in the tires.

For those of you how have an '08 you know how the average MPG works. For those of you who don't... it takes about 50+ miles to get the MPG up there. It starts out at 0 MPG and increases quickly to about 40 but then it takes some time (miles) to get every additional tenth out of it. It is most definitely *not* an instant MPG reading.

My Focus Journal [driving]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts