Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2008 Focus SE for my girlfriend. Previous owner had owned the car since 20k miles. The car now has 110k on it. Car is beautiful and we really like it. The only problem we’ve encountered is obnoxiously loud cabin engine noise and vibration. Most noticeable: cold starts, idle, and slow speeds. When accelerating/decelerating at slow speeds the noise/vibration is also there. Dash panels actually vibrate. I press the panels with my finger and the noise stops. Obvious answer is motor mounts but my brother is a mechanic and he replaced all 3 mounts within 2 weeks of us owning the car. The noise and vibration is there even when the engine is jacked up with a 2x4 on the oil pan taking all weight off the mounts. He thinks it’s the harmonic balance?? The car runs and drives great. No CEL or warnings. A friend of my girlfriend actually owns one of these cars too and I sat in the passenger seat while he started the car and the same vibration/noise was there as well. He only has 60k miles. Is there a problem or are these cars just meant to be louder? I have a 2001 Civic with 230k miles and it’s night and day how much quieter it is compared to the Focus. So I’m asking if there is a problem or is this just the way these cars are? If there is a problem I would love some hints on where to go next to fix this.

·
Registered
16,208 Posts
The passenger side engine mount is a whopping problem on these and often aftermarket parts do nothing for it even brand new. Why we push a Ford only mount at that one location for sure. The vibration will drive you nuts.

A design issue, Ford mounts the engine to where all shake from it can easily go into the rest of car, before they mounted them different and no issues with those. They have modded that mount type 6 ways from sundown yet they need to mount in a different way not change the mounts, the setup allows the entire engine nose to waggle whoppingly in the chassis.

FYI, if the engine is jacked up TOO much then the vibration comes back at mount check, you in effect solid the mounts up if you go too high. Go just enough to unload the mount, not totally neutralize it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were not OEM. He just replaced the bushing on the passenger side mount as well. Ok I will get OEM Motorcraft. Do you know of where I can find it for the best price? I’m assuming a dealer will charge the most.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts