Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember Ford uses the same chassis on several vehicles- Focus/Mazda 3, Fusion/Mazda 6/Escape/Tribute, 500/Taurus. There a few Lincolns that are the same way. The Edge is the only one I'm not sure about.

As far as the springs, I think they may be the same dimensions as the 2007 year. They might have different rates, but I'm not concerned about that anyway. I actually want to raise and stiffen the car. To put it simply, I drive it on pavement and dirt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only difference between the 08 suspension and the 06-07 is that the SES model comes with a rear sway bar.......the springs and dampeners are the same though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I remember Ford uses the same chassis on several vehicles- Focus/Mazda 3, Fusion/Mazda 6/Escape/Tribute, 500/Taurus. There a few Lincolns that are the same way. The Edge is the only one I'm not sure about.

As far as the springs, I think they may be the same dimensions as the 2007 year. They might have different rates, but I'm not concerned about that anyway. I actually want to raise and stiffen the car. To put it simply, I drive it on pavement and dirt.

since the focus has been used in some actual rally events, I'm fairly sure somebody probably makes gravel spec suspension for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well I figured it out, the euro focus is a mazda 3, not the north american model. they started from the same car, so they might have some compatibility even though the platforms are slightly tweeked differently.

much like how subaru GC8 platform impreza parts interchange with BD/BG5 chassis designated legacy's.

north american and euro focii are closer than either of those in size and floor pan structure.

I have no idea who makes rally sport style consumer level set ups for the focus. maybe try finding a rally forum and ask about focus parts? or you could just buy a used one of these: good focus

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have driven both years Foci(07 &08) many miles and believe me the 08 is a very weak sister (springs) of the two by far. I have never seen weaker spring rates than on the 08. If you find better springs that don't lower your car please pass on the info to me. I'm desperate for a solution. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I will be changing the springs and most likely the front struts and rear shocks eventually. For now, I am going to take some measurements, and use one of the old NASCAR tricks- spring rubbers. Technically, made out of urethane, the will add approx. 35 lbs to the otherwise 'fair' springs, and help keep the ride height up.

While the springs aren't the weakest stock springs I known, they are too soft for spirited driving. On a side note, my 2002 Neon springs were even softer, they got ditched quickly.

I will keep you up to date.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i dont see why your doing it the hard way. frpp has a 1.5 inch drop kit for the 2008 focus. its listed right in the accesoris thing at teh dealership (its on teh last page.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont see why your doing it the hard way. frpp has a 1.5 inch drop kit for the 2008 focus. its listed right in the accesoris thing at teh dealership (its on teh last page.
If you read the entire post- we do not want to lower our cars. We simply want stiffer springs. I also want to have a slightly higher ride (perhaps just the front 1"), to level out the car. I actually drive mine on dirt too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you lower your car other things need to be done other than alignment. Socalwrench I will be waiting for additional info. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, well I took some basic measurements for the spring rubbers. The front springs are slightly progressive, but are 5" ID (towards the bottom) with 1 1/4" between the two lower coils. The rear springs are linear and much are smaller- 3 1/4 ID and 7/8" between the coils.

I will probably be buying gas tomorrow, and I will take the installed measurements then. However, free length is still unknown. Wire diameter for both is still unknown- I'm not sure my dial calipers will fit in the wheel well.

I just wanted to clarify that the spring rubbers are not a permanent solution. Once I am able to find springs, I will be swapping out the springs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me know where you get your springs. My car has been in the dealership since Wednesday trying to figure this problem out for the fifth time. I know you had said spiriting driving I'd be happy with regular street driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me know where you get your springs. My car has been in the dealership since Wednesday trying to figure this problem out for the fifth time. I know you had said spiriting driving I'd be happy with regular street driving.
Which problem, exactly, are you having?

As of right now, I know 5" springs will work up front and they are fairly common on stock cars and older muscle cars. The rear has been more difficult. It seems that the best I can find (without custom machining) are 3" ID springs normally used on 3" coilover shocks for offroad trucks. They also sell adapters to change the upper and lower mounts (this would take up the additional 1/4"). However, remember that I haven't measured the wire diameter yet, and the larger size/stiffer spring may take up that additional 1/4" OD.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.